Monday, August 17, 2009

Deer House Owls And Hawk Calling













Well, by accident, I knocked over the Swath Woodpecker Pole Tree...pic for sometime...was trying to sit down on the Rip Rap and reached out to brace my self...and over it went...sat awhile disconsolate!...and this was an evening lunch time visit to the Creek...perked up when I heard Owl call from the Deer House Woods...I'd just been there in the morning walk....at the end of morning walk, after a quiet sit by the River...and only a glimpse of Big Wings at Creek's End..and no pics...at the end, I thought to look at the seeds on the Dogwoods in the Backyard...they're falling off...which is disappointing...I'd hoped to get pics of the Birds feeding on them in the Fall....related, is that some of the Black Oaks...notably the big one at Duck Harbor, haven't any acorns...and the Bear Clover few berries...at the end of the walk...seeing and thinking these things...I heard Hawk!!...way back across the Creek at the Deer House...I've gotten to where I can pretty much tell direction and distance from a Bird's call...and I didn't know what to do...work time was nearing..but off I went...I set the 20x to record...wanted the call's sound...on the tripod over my shoulder, as I hurried back to the Creek...and it's a neat clip!...clip of moving Tree tops with Hawk's call!...for sometime...I crossed the Creek to the Deer House...and looked about, but no luck....I started back...and just where I filmed Deer House Doe the other day, I heard Hawk really loud...and looked into the Woods...and saw...Owl!...a real surprise...Hawk was calling at Owl...but I couldn't see Hawk..so set the 20x to record, the clip up, and worked around with the new camera....tried to be quiet, but there's just too many leaves...Owl's swiveling head is noting my progress!....in the clip is a brief Big Wing flight of what must have been Hawk leaving...Owl left soon after....I was six minutes late for work!....now, back to the lunch visit: I picked up from the Rip Rap, and crossed the Creek...Owl's call, Aspen or Cottonwood, pulled me over to the Twin Fallen Cedars, which I noted are impossible to walk across now, and back across the Creek, around again to the Rip Rap, and across the Creek again...and there, finally, I spotted Owl, not the one calling...Owl in the morning looks to be Sentinel...Mama Owl...and this evening Owl does too...and one might make out the Ground Squirrel in Owl's claws..I didn't see that until I reviewed the clip...and I'm glad I didn't try to get closer for pic...the clips aren't filled with a lot of action!...not many of the clips are...but I find them cool...sunny hot blue with a breeze...some scenic and flower pics from the day....was ten minutes late back to work from lunch!!...looked a bit silly in work clothes...and wished I'd seen Hawk...I've suspected Owls and Hawk are having a turf quarrel...Hawk's call at odd times...and Owls' moving roosts....the evening sighting was about six thirty..not that late...the morning one of Hawk and Owl around one thirty...and a fungus or something on Last Chance Oak...the Dogwoods there are fine...I need to go around and look at the Trees...and feel very sorry I knocked over Woopeckers' Snag!!

Link of the Day
http://geology.com/articles/yosemite-rockfall.shtml

No comments: