Sunday, January 6, 2013

Tolowa Dunes

http://youtu.be/BNfpzyKQpTs



 
The Mill Creek Road,  South of Crescent City, whereabout I wanted to hike that Morning, was closed, gated, and only open on weekend, winter schedule I suspect, so so, I went North to Tolowa Dunes State Park, and turned left at the Sign, and then was very lost, but in wonderful open Ranch Land...hereabout saw  Elk, some Hawk pics, and Chicken Pics, and Domestic Cat pic, and the Redwood Stumps...I just didn't have a map with, and not knowing how extensive Tolowa is, was a bit lost...anyway, I sighted some more Redwood Stumps, but these with New Redwoods growing out of them--Redwoods do this--and I pulled into a pullout for pics, and found it to be a Trail Head--Coastal Lagoon Loop Lake Earl...so geared up, and walked out...Coastal Forests I find very different from Forest hereabout in the Sierra...Coastal are very wet, and lots of Underbrush, and not being familiar with the Trees and Bushes, it's all a confusion...walk was quietquiet...sighted Big Wings amongst Trees, but just a glimpse...and when I reached the Lagoon, see Bench, Kinglets were about, Song Sparrow, Cormorant, and quiet...I'd thought there would be Rafts of Waterfowl...but no...but what there was, was  Persistant Redtail Hawk calling...'declaring territory' another hiker's specualtion...and I think so!...Hawk seemed to take notice...I sat a long while on the Bench, and took long clips...on return, Hawk moved to Pine, and another long clip...clips up just snips...further back on return, sighted Acorn Woodpecker and Chickaree...Chickaree can be heard in Hawk clip...Kinglets too, and Bird I dont know call...later in the Day, near Sunset, so near I had to hurry to get back from Trail, I hiked out to Cadra Point--seen in distance across Lake Earl from Bench vantage (and next pic is from Cadra vantage) ...Redtails and Harrier...but more quiet Wet Forest...Tolowa Dunes will take a lot of sometime to explore!...I did finally that afternoon stop in the Crescent City Visitor Center and get maps, and a headsup of Fallen Giant Redwood from the recent Storm on the Stage Road, which was near where I'd been in the morning!...a fine roll thereabout, but not time to see Fallen Redwood...did see Redwood being picked up off Coast Road by road crews...missed good pic of Redwood in jaws of Steamshovel...well, they're not Steamshovels anymore...hmmph...anyway, made Steamshovel look small...all along Coast, Road repairs...could do Road Repair Week!...and Crescent City Harbor Repairs too...Tsunami pics posted thereabout...oh, for sometime!

And Blog of the Day:
http://larryeifert.com/wordpress/?p=24

No comments: