Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Balboa Mackerel













Out and about around 7am...took Route 43 to where I can transfer to Route 55 or 47...took 55 to where I can take Route 1 or 171...took 171 and hopped off at Balboa Pier!...choices I made at the stops where I had choices were made because one bus or another came first!...on way back, I ran to catch 171, and then again I ran to catch 43...actually a kinda waddling trot...'better to run than to wait!' I told the driver, and he agreed...it's a misery to sit waiting for a bus...if I had waited, I would have gotten to Crystal Cove again, even though a bit later in morning than I envisioned...for another time!...I did need to go to Balboa to check on boat trips to Catalina...they're all booked up, but if I get there early, like 7am, I'll be put on the top of the stand by list, and a good chance for a spot...boat leaves at 9am, and returns at 4:30 pm, and takes just an hour to make the crossing...cloudy overcast clearing to patchy blue warm...in my reading, Tom Sawyer and his pals, Huck and Joe, have turned pirate and camped out on a near shore island in the Mississippi...I've been wanting to see how Mark Twain presents Nature, and so compare with James Fenimore Cooper, and Muir...

quote

They fried the fish with bacon, and were astonished; for no fish had ever been so delicious before. They did not know that the quicker a fresh water fish is on the fire after he is caught the better he is...

unquote

an observation I made here!, and applicable to salt water fish...Twain is very good with Nature with capital N...and bugs...don't know but a collection of Tom Sawyer's bugs is in order...kids see Nature, and too it seems, superstitions...Twain has recorded a lot of 1800's kid's lore...brb

quote

Let me make the superstitions of a nation and I care not who makes its laws or its songs either.
- Following the Equator, Pudd'nead Wilson's New Calendar

When the human race has once acquired a supersitition nothing short of death is ever likely to remove it.
- Autobiography of Mark Twain

When even the brightest mind in our world has been trained up from childhood in a superstition of any kind, it will never be possible for that mind, in its maturity, to examine sincerely, dispassionately, and conscientiously any evidence or any circumstance which shall seem to cast a doubt upon the validity of that superstition. I doubt if I could do it myself.
 - "Is Shakespeare Dead?"

http://www.twainquotes.com/Superstition.html

unquote

oh, on returning, I rolled over to Denny's for a snack, as I often do, and while reading, and occasionally looking out the windows, the fisherman from Newport Pier hobbled by on his walker, which doubles when he goes to the pier as gear carrier...he crossed the street and waited for the bus, looking out of place, not being at Pier's End with his poles!

No comments: