Saturday, April 16, 2022

OTI:pic::notes:::4/16/2022

Open To Interpretation

The Myth

Potemkin Village

Youtube comments










https://luwianstudies.org/the-etruscan-culture/513-tragliatella-wine-jug/


quote

The whole myth is plainly presented on an Etruscan wine jar from Tragiatella , dated from the seventh century BC.

The White Goddess, Robert Graves p320 1948

unquote


quote

Is Google a Potemkin village? Why are YouTube comments so terrible? Why is Reddit a hivemind? The Dead Internet Theory.

Try to do this experiment yourself:

I typed "pizza" into Google. 916 million results. That's a lot of results, but the internet is big, so it could be true, right?

So I started clicking on "next page". There's 10 links per page, so with 916 million results, there should be 9.2 million pages to click through.

However, someting weird happened. When I reached page 22, that was the end. After 215 links, I reached the end of Google. And at the top, the text changed. It no longer said it has almost a billion results, it just said "215 results".

On the last page, I was getting random news articles that only used the word "pizza" once, or links to sites of random Romanian pizzerias. Does Google, which is so often praised because of its fantastic algorithm, really only have 200 results more relevant to me than a random Romanian pizzeria? (I don't live in Romania or anywhere near it.)

I did some more experiments with different search terms, and I never managed to get past 300.

Why is this? What happened to the other billion or so results, and what are the implications of this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/tp6dgc/is_google_a_potemkin_village_why_are_youtube/

unquote

quote

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

unquote



Notes: game on...on the radio...top of seventh...Ohtani up...Angels at Rangers...1-2...base hit...walks load the bases, and sac grounder scores Ohtani...to the bottom of seventh...Angels 4-2...OH!...Ohtani waps a home run, top of eighth!...Angels 6-2...Trout up...It's true...google searches dwindle...OH!...Ward hits a home run!...I did posts about this, see the Battle Agate posts...too I think I did one on the "hostage statements"...such in my saved youtube comment posts...I post  to the comments in spite of knowing they're troll phoney...one snacks on cheetos or popcorn, and shouts out from the peanut gallery...youtube comments early on were awful...the worse things one would hear from fans at a sporting event...moderation set in, until now Elon Musk is trying to purchase Twitter for billions of dollars, and try to lessen its "moderation"!...isn't Musk the owner of Starlink?...OH!...he is he is!...go figure...anyway, I'm trying to put together a Black Deck story, Achilles Marries Medea...and, and did a search I often do, with books...I looked up Medea in the index of The White Goddess, and re-read what I've often re-read--a book full of curios!...Graves didn't footnote the book, or have a bibliography, but one can do the modern thing very easily--google search a curio...now, as superficial as google may seem, one can with a good search, turn up the wildest and most obscure things!...Graves seems to have anticipated this, as did Pausanias, Herodotus, the old Greeks...their memories were such, and I mean all of them, the audience, that mere mention of someone triggered an elaborate memory...the proof of this  are the vignettes on the vases and jars...they just needed a glimpse, and a whole story played out in their imaginations, in detail...the like has been lost...though fans at rock concerts seems to have some of the old skill, and baseball aficionados...I drift...Angels win!...Angels 7-2...put a halo over this one!...

:)

DavidDavid

No comments: