Saturday, February 27, 2021

Cambiaso:OTI::pics,notes:::2/27/21

Open To Interpretation

Babe Ruth

Cambiaso Volumetric Mannequins




















Notes:  out this morning to Micky D's...deluxe breakfast, cinnamon roll, large coffee...thought to sketch a mannequin after Cambiaso...I'd happened on the tutorial, and looked Cambiaso up...I remember him from the Time/Life Art series books...he came up with these boxy preliminary sketches, which makes him leap ahead like centuries...doing these kind  of sketches, it's easier to see where to shade...started with that in mind, the shading, and, and the drawing got away...got it back by making it Babe Ruth pitching!...it's messed up...Babe was left handed...I had no reference, and it wasn't Babe until I put "3" on the shirt, where in truth a 3 would never have been...old time uniforms had numbers on back...and I got to messing with the face...remembered Babe's big wide nose, and not much else...so, soh, afterwards, checked images, and found one from a Sport's Illustrated take-One Hundred Years after Bab's First Major League Game...I was in the ballpark!...I gotta say, with all the old stuff on youtube, I just wallow in nostalgia-captivated I am by all these films of celebrities of the past...not just celebrities...lots of clips too of just everyday folk...and too there are all the documentaries about old artists, who provide windows into their times...from Cambiaso, to Raphael, to Botticelli, and totally taken with Botticilli's illustrations to Dante's Inferno, a book I've never been able to read-too much!...don't need to now, Botticelli's drawings tell the tale!...anyway, out this evening to Wendy's-southwest salad, baked potato, chocolate chip cookie, coffee...and drew the Cambiaso mannequin, with shadowing...the demo artist uses a drafting triangle to draw the boxes...kinda neat...I have some of those, small ones...try to include them in sketching sometimes...a lot of finessing things I've been dismissing--like straight horizon lines...often I see the demo plein air artists use a ruler to make the horizon...

:)

DavidDavid

No comments: