Monday, October 22, 2007

Sentinel Owl


quote (me in email)

"The edge of that dry Santa Ana weather was here in the Valley, but it just made everything more gorgeous. I was doing video of some deer crossing the Merced, which is very low, and a small hawk swooped in and picked a bird right out of the air, and then landed on the opposite bank. Now, I went to this spot (Creek's End) this evening in hopes of hearing the Owl again, and following its sound and getting a pic...and low and behold, the Owl swooped down and took over the Hawk's kill. I never saw exactly what it was, but the Owl walked about the bank, then flew up on a tree branch, and I was able to get video and pics!! I get so worked up chasing these birds! I walked out in the middle of the Merced, boots and all, and got one or two closer pics, then it took notice of me and flew aways into another tree. I crossed the Merced, and Indian walked as quiet as I could, and couldn't find it, until I looked straight up and it was above me looking straight down! Oh, I wish I could have gotten that pic! But I was too slow pointing the camera up on the tripod and trying to see it in the lcd screen. Ah, lost that one, but the others are cool.

end quote


Earlier I got some video of Hawks circling in Cook's Meadow, one with Sentinel in background.


Day started out though, watching news of So Cal under siege from the fires...Rainbow was my home awhile, and Orange County of course nearly all my life. Hearing the place names come over the news is very sad.


The Hawks and Owl just totally took over my attention though. I hope I dont get a cold. I walked about in the cold evening with wet legs, not feet, my boots were water proof, the Merced not deep enough to get in them, but my cuffs got wet and the dampness chilled my legs.


Oh, I wish I got that pic of the Owl looking down!!

No comments: