Thursday, August 30, 2007

Red Tail Hawk(?)

It rained a bit during the walkabout, and I didn't see much, but took the tripod along and took some video, experimenting...on the way back I thought to walk by where the hawk behind the cabin was yesterday, and saw what I thought was part of the cedar tree that looked like a big bird...then it swiveled it's head! I didn't get too close, but took video and pics and all on the tripod. One friend keeps advising to use the tripod, but before, I didn't like trying to lean down and see through the view finder. Now, the 12x, has the swiveling lcd panel, and that works cool. I did some kneeling down with the tripod at it's lowest by the creek. I didn't experiment with the hawk, just wanted to get pics before it up and flew away.

This is the same one I think my other friend took pics of yesterday of it sitting on a stump posing...which it oblidgeingly did today for a group of tourists on the bike trail I saw walking to work....

It's a hawk! I said.
We know that...They answered
We think it's a redtail hawk, I continued, a young one, not sure what to do...it's been there a long time...I'm going to be late for work...I have to go back to get my camera...
Swooooop! Off the hawk glided to another stump.

Oh well, one of the tourists got pics with a cell phone, and they thanked me for identifying it. Hope they appreciated how lucky they were!!

The stump will be one of those places I keep checking, like the puddle where I saw the bullfrog that once!! My dog always checked bushes where she flushed cats, and rabbits, for years after a walk.

Rain cooled off things, which was a relief, and work was slow...summer is winding down. I haven't got to Tuolumne much, but these walks along the creek will be what stands out in my memory of this summer...and they continue now into Fall...

No comments: