Monday, August 27, 2007

Water Ouzel

This pic from two days ago. Got out, to Mt. Dana with a friend. Gone all day. Ouzels are some times called dippers.

Thunder clouds came rolling in when we got to the top of Dana (which I wish was named for Henry Dana!), and chased us all the way down to the East Gate, where it started to rain, and lightning out toward Mono Pass...never did rain or lightning on Dana...but Ranger said lightning once struck right across the road from the gate booth. Saw a hare, and got pics. Dropped the extension tube on the 12x, bounced about on the rocks, but might be okay, looks like small minor smears...then I dropped myself and the whole caboodle...but camera okay, me okay, and put it in the pack...only to take it out again to do Marmot Pics. Lots of birds are up on the lower slopes of Dana! Great to be in Tuolumne when Tuolumne is Tuolumne!

While at the Ranger Station we may have seen a Golden Eagle. I thought it was a raven, and the ranger, but my friend noted two white spots on the wings...which I saw too, and it seemed bigger than a raven. I must apolgize, my friend I think now was right...it wasn't a raven.

I thought to google it and found this early account with mention of the golden eagle, and in an account of climbing Dana!! Cool.

SIX WEEKS IN THE SADDLE
The Diary of Charles Palache
http://franklin-sterlinghill.com/cp/week4.shtml

No comments: