Friday, March 7, 2008

The Deer House


I was up early...had pancakes...and



back at the Cabin I hopped on the bike and pedaled over to the Oak Grove...then around C00k's....the Deer House looked grand in the early sunrise....and the Cabin is one of the little cabins in Owl Woods that was washed away..or damaged in the '97 flood...which should be called a "flash flood"...as the water receded rapidly...Cabin pic is courtesy of Ernie, who I met out on Chapel Footbridge (okay...it's the Superintendant's House and Bridge on the maps!)....the Deer House...where the


Deer haven't been since the heavy snows...but close over in the Oak Grove...was boarded up after the flood...and has been that way since...though water hasn't risen that high since...three Spring's ago it came up to within about six feet of high water...then Cook's flooded and I got one pic of Half Dome reflected...the Deer House looks out on Half Dome...and thought to go out the next morning and get more reflection pics...but the water had gone back into the banks of the Merced...so "flooding" ...high water...can be a one day thing...should be pretty high this Spring...one of my first attendance at the free art classes was to the left of the Deer House..slightly behind it...we all set up...and went back to the Creek to get water....my first experience of the Creek!...I still have the watercolor sketch...half done...I wanted to get the Oak branches...I'll have to dig through my old film pics...first two or so years were all with disposable cameras!..and it was mostly reference photos for painting...the ride about was short...and I went back...curled up in the bunk until work!...cool grey day...showed off the dvd of Bobcat I made...everyone seems to have seen Bobcat get Squirrel!...I dont need to see that....




No comments: