Sunday, January 31, 2021

West:OTI::pics,notes:::1/31/21

Open To Interpretation

#stradaeasel  day 31

West

Old Turtle




























Notes:  thought to roll out to Balboa...and, blueberry skoans and hot grande mocha on the driveway...last day of the January stradaeasel challenge...I kinda custom made it to my liking...the "intersections" kinda my conceit...plus I tried to work in a photo for my blog...and, a cartoon...I haven't thought yet of a cartoon for today...the photo and cartoon an aside to the strada sketches...the usual way to paint for the strada contest is to paint, but different media are acceptable...some of us stretch that to mean pencil, and, and the "plein air" challenge part is to paint from life...easily done, but I've done a close study of the 'from life" part...and set aside the painting...pencil and pen and ink pen the media...if I sit at the beach and paint the Palace at Aliso, the light changes so much, that I'm basically painting from memory how the light and colors were in one moment...capturing a moment takes strength of a sort!...so, soh, that's what I've been about...at the other end of things, is copying an old master's painting...this we were assigned often in school...it's what I call "artisan" work...I worked up Fragonard, Remington, Cezanne, Nat Geo Photos, Hollywood actors' photos...copy work...tracing paper cribs...and, and now on facebook a challenge to do an old master replica...lol...with a nine month time frame...that suggests glazing...layering thin thin transparent layers of oil paint until the finish...what that does is give depth, and lighting effects acquired no other way...some, like Fragonard, could pull the lighting off in an hour or two...a la prima...wet into wet...the same as plein air oils....I did Fragonard's The Sultan, the black and white...a friend did Girl Reading a Book...when we put our work up for view, the two were side by side...they had a twist...we inserted our own visage, making them like self portraits!...much fun...seeing the facebook challenge, I remembered this...I've posted them...Girl Reading a Book was on loan at the time to the San Diego Art Museum...normally, it's in Washington DC...and my last Palomar effort was Remington's Waving a Serape to Chase Cattle...and it was in an air brush class, of all things!...Remington's, like Fragonard's Sultan, is black and white-I colorized them both...thinking to see again the Serape, search google images, I find google stuck my air brush student work next to it...these flatteries of finding my blog images in "images" is ephemeral...the algo bots are always churning the soil...or some such...I dunno...oh, what can I do quick for a cartoon..oh, wait!...in the notebook, the one of Old Turtle from 2002 I wanted to post!...

:)

DavidDavid

No comments: