Friday, August 29, 2008

Duck Harbor Squirrel






(Addenda: The problems with the digiscope I describe here are probably due to my poor camera skills!...as I learn to use it some of these things...the purple fringe and focus, are falling by wayside... and I'm getting better pics!)


I took the digiscope back to Duck Harbor...and had this Squirrel for a subject....this is not easy to do!....but I learned somethings....to take a pic I have to set the flash...a lightning bolt icon...to off...and set the mountain icon to on...this locks the lens focus at infinity...and then I set the timer to ten seconds...and press the shutter all the way down...and wait...and hope the critter doesn't move!...and I get a pic....now...the pics...and clips...have some problems!...caused by the big lens...there's a purple fringe in the shadow areas....and the focus is very soft...this is not a set up that will take sharp pics and clips...but the venue I'm using for them is the web...so they're fine!...mpegs and as little as 72 dpi will do!...

wind becomes a problem...and the atmosphere...the intervening air...waves...especially I suppose because it's hot...oh...I set up on the Picnic Tables and took pics and clips from there of the Woodpecker Tree...can make out a Woodpecker and the holes...and the top of Half Dome...can just make out people...and with some doing I was able to zoom out from 25x to 50x...and 75x...the purple fringing increase with each step...as does the blurriness...

the pic here is a still from the clip...

what to think of it all??...well...I'm glad I got it...and I can use it for the blog...and the pics and clips for reference to draw and paint from...but it's all no good for big enlargements....even a four by six is questionable!!!....so any commercial grade stuff is out...well...maybe the clips might look okay on tv...hereabouts we live with tv reception of about this level!!...but keep in mind the digiscope set up I'm using is low tech...well..the camera isn't...it would go okay I think with a better spotting scope...and that's the mystery...how a better...and expensive..scope would perform!

as to commercial grade...I dont give much thought to selling things...but someone might...so it would be of interest to them what kinda didgiscope setup would make commerically viable pics and clips...well...see Mike's Birding Blog...a google search brings it up....everything about quality digiscopes is there...and a lot of fine quality pics!!

tomorrow I'll go sit under the Woodpecker Tree...and early when there's shade from the nearby pines!...and see if I can get some good clips of the Woodpeckers...it's the Holiday Weekend..so I'll likely have to deal with the curious onlookers!!....I'm becoming a curio...

Some high hazy clouds came in...but otherwise still hot and sunny...

Canon's coming out with a new camera...a dslr with 15 megapixles...a successor to the 40 D...called...50 D....I cant keep them all straight...as Nikon has equivelant ones...with equivelant names!...

No comments: