Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Ozone Deer













Before the '97 'flood', Last Chance had a lot of little cabins in the Backyard...and too were tent and some cabin housing for employees...who, affectionately I'm sure, referred to the area as the "Ozone"...I've taken the name and applied it to the nearby shore of the Merced...which has some nice gravel beaches... and is very popular...but like everywhere in the Valley... if one gets up early...one can have it pretty much to themselves...late evenings are like this too...

I went for the morning walk not real early...nine or so...but no one was about as I approached Ozone Beach...except the Deer!...Mama Doe and One Fawn, Three Bucks, and another Doe...the Fawn's growing fast!....while filming some tourist did show up...but were quiet....the Does and One Fawn were by themselves until the Bucks showed up...and then there was a lot of commotion...running and pronging about...and one Doe tried to kick a Buck...the contrast of sun and shade didn't let me capture it all well...but fun to watch!....

The Mergansers from yesterday evening are the first part of the clip.

Sunny...very bright...warm...some wind.

On the Sometime List is a map with the place names I've made up!...it's needed...I started to regale one co worker with the Appletree Bear story...and it went like this:

"It was the apple tree out in Cook's Meadow...you know where that is?"
"No...uh huh."
"How long you been here?"
"Twenty years."

I need a map.

2 comments:

Tom Lambert said...

Yes, a map. To get you started with a template, you can download the USGS 7.5' maps for free from

http://archive.casil.ucdavis.edu/casil/maps/drg/7.5_minute_series_albers_nad83_trimmed/37119/o37119g5.tif
http://archive.casil.ucdavis.edu/casil/maps/drg/7.5_minute_series_albers_nad83_trimmed/37119/o37119f5.tif
http://archive.casil.ucdavis.edu/casil/maps/drg/7.5_minute_series_albers_nad83_trimmed/37119/o37119f6.tif

Stitch those three together and you'll have Yosemite Valley

DavidDavid said...

Well...somewhere back in the Posts I posted a map...the map from the Plan...which shows in some detail the backyard...I dont know how much detail I want!...a ten foot grid from Wee Bridge to Creek's End...another of Cook's...and another of Leidig...then I could give cooridinates of where I see the critters!

I saw yesterday someone studying Tuolumne Meadow...they had little flags they set out..and a camera...and I dont know if they were studing the plants...or some critter...critters...

There's a tug to be scientific about Fauna and Flora!

I think what I'd like to do is hand sketch a map like Muir might make...maybe he made one of the Creek!....oh..a search beckons almost like Hawk's call!

DavidDavid