Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Antlered Buck






Roofers were working on the Deer House in the Background...so thought to include them in the Deer Clip!....this maybe the fourth time of late I've seen Buck jousting with the foliage....earlier, on the way back from the Post Office, I saw the Western Bluebirds again on the Boardwalk...distant clip...report of a 'black mountain lion' in Mariposa...sunny cool and blue...Cottonwood leaves frost covered on the Paths.....

oh...quoting Keats the other night, got me to thinking today what might be my top ten favorite lines of poetry....I posed the question too to a friend at work...who struggled a bit with it, as I did too!...modern memories are kinda...weak!...anyway...the first one they popped out was 'miles to go before I sleep'....which would be one of mine too...but it's not a whole line!...then they added stuff like...'boil boil toil and trouble'....which isn't a poem, but a spell!...and not a whole line!!...then they added one of their own...so I had to qualify the quest with...'deceased poets'....but I got to thinking...what might be ten famous words of poetry....shorter even then the snips being tossed out!...I was thinking of 'Tyger, Tyger"....which is not only a top ten one word snip...but the whole line is a top ten!....anyway...here's a start at my top ten lines...

The Sedge is withered from the Lake, and no birds sing. --Keats
Tyger! Tyger! Burning Bright in the Forests of the Night! --Blake
We are the stuff dreams are made of, and our little lives rounded with a sleep. --Shakespeare
There is one story, and one story only, that will prove worth your telling... --Graves

A lot of lines from my friend were like from...Lewis Carroll, or some such...this to say they lacked...sublimity...if that's a word!!...or they were fluffed up...like the lines on the Statue of Liberty...grand things...that's okay...one doesn't want to constrain things too much...but I'm inclined to regard ones that go along with a winter walkabout!

Two paths diverged in a yellow wood....

let me check to see if that's quoted right...brb...roads!....funny what the mind's eye does!....paths would have been better!...implying footpaths...as opposed to automobiles or horse drawn wagons....and last summer, I asked another friend why was 'yellow' chosen...and they totally side slipped into another topic...I tend to squirrel these things away like the woodpecker's acorns!...'yellow', in my first thought thinking, must have referred to Fall yellow leaves...I'm not one to think good poets write words with the notion the reader can make of them what they will...poems aren't picassos!...poets are very precise...so maybe Frost is putting the whole thing into a November....or December..'rawest of seasons'...setting...but I dont know...for sometime!...

anyway, Poe's Raven of course came up...'once upon a midnight dreary'...and Poe may have the top one word from a poem!!

'Nevermore'

A poster with the Raven of the other night post with 'Nevemore' across the bottom would be knockdown!!

Not seeing much on the walks...so gotta write something!

"Cottonwood leaves frost covered on the paths..."

Well...'roads' went with 'wood' and 'yell..ow' and 'tw o'..lets hope that's not all to them!!

DolphinWords

No comments: