Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Woodpecker Tree Hawk













From the Road, I thought I saw Hawk way across Cook's Meadow on the Woodpecker Tree...the profile of the Tree's top didn't look right!...but I dismissed the thought as just an imagining!...and continued on to the Post Office....fifteen or twenty minutes later, I came from the Boardwalk past the Artist's Grove to the Path and did indeed see Hawk perched on the very top...actually sorta in the top, which is a bit like a cup, or chair with a back, it seems!...I hurried to get some souvenir pics...this is the pic on the top of my wish list!...Hawk or Owl on the Woodpecker Tree!....I had the minidigi all set up...and sighted it in...but from where I was all I could see was Hawk's back...I could have taken the digi around to the front, but I knew there would be a very good chance Hawk would fly off...so I set it to record...and tried for a quick clip with the 12x...and a pic with the new camera...I just didn't sneak well enough I guess...as I got one pic, then Hawk lifted off as I tried to move to see better...sigh....but Hawk flew just the short way over to the Artist's Grove....and I tried to follow..but was waylaid by a tourist full of questions about the Valley...sigh...'I gotta go...there's a Hawk over there!'.....Hawk flew to three or four different Trees right in the Grove...once on a low snag branch..a pic I'd really like to have got!...but two more tourists approached from behind!....I halted them with some stage commands!...but Hawk flew up to a Pine Top....I took a deep breath, and got everyone on the same page!...and they started taking pics of Hawk too...I was able to get close to the Pine but Hawk was sideways...and it was a steep angle...I wanted to go around to where Hawk was facing...the same problem at the Woodpecker Tree...but I could see Hawk would be back lit..and it was a no go pic...so I just stay put and let the digi run in video...it recorded me yakity yacking about cameras and Hawks and where RV camping was...I just gave up!...and missed Hawk's lift off...as I could have gotten a wings spread pic...sigh...the tourists were very nice...and I think enjoyed seeing Hawk...one had a 12x....and had 'been all over the world with it'...Hawk flew off along the Boardwalk across the Road to somewhere over in the Suburbs...same route Hawk took yesterday evening.....this is only the third time I've seen Hawk on top of the Woodpecker Tree....and the only one with a pic and clip....so I'm happy...they're cool souvenir pics and clips....but I'll follow my imagining next time!!...even from far across the Meadow!....report of Hawk over in Stoneman Meadow...will try to go to sleep sooner and up earlier for longer walk...sunny cold and blue...hard to see in the mpeg...but the air is wavering just above Hawk from Hawk's body heat!

No comments: