Friday, September 18, 2020

SkimBoarders:OTI::pics,notes:::9/18/20

Open To Interpretation

Skim Boarders, Aliso Beach

edit: it took all day for the Pond to break through...

Watch "RAW: River Breaches Sand Berm Start to Finish + BTS with @Jamie O'Brien" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/gHl0poo9FnU

Oak Street, Laguna Beach

#stradaeasel















Notes:  Out and back...out before sunup...and, and I found the side street that ends with benches overlooking from the bluffs out to the ocean...first, I parked by the white building...was going to do the sketch standing...but on walking across Hwy One, thought, wait, I can park by the stop sign...from there I could just barely see the benches...and I was happy with the sketch...and thought done for the morning...I've been only doing one sketch on the out and backs...more, and I lose my focus...I imagine the sketch on the way, and review it returning...so, soh, but I was hungry, and picked up snack, burrito and coffee, at JackintheBox and continued on to Aliso Beach...thought there to grab the French Easel and paddle over to the South Bluff and that strange anthropomorphic rock...shyness comes over me with such a thought!...I would be set up right in the thorough fare of folk going around the bluff...so, dallied, considering, and then saw some Skim Board kids digging a trench to let the Bridge Pond water collide with the ocean waves...I thought this just happened in winter, but they seemed to know what they were about, and then Blair, the skim board champion, showed up, and went serious on the trench too....I grabbed my gear, newsprint, board, charcoal, and camera, and paddled over for a looksee...considered, and sat on one of the cement benches to take the photos, and do the sketch...the scene just staged itself, what with the kite, and the poses of Skim Boarders...in the distance the north bluff...and, and, when I left off, going back to Silver, my Jeep, I spotted Blair retrieving something from his car..."Blair, can you sign this..."...and he kindly obliged...the sketch now a treasure!...and it totally overshadowed the Oak Street sketch on the way home!...I dont know when I'm going to get all the sketches worked up into plein air paintings...thought is to go back to each view, set up the French Easel, and do an oil painting.,.I bought 30 eight by ten gessoed panels,,.and some better oil paints...better paints are like not so thin and runny as student grades, or some such....and I bought some more flat brushes...this I didn't lnow:...the invention of ferrells, the metal piece that holds the bristles, made it possible to make flat, bright, brushes...this was a boon to the Impressionists...it gave them a variety of brush strokes not possible before with bristles/hairs wrapped with thread-like Chinese brushes...what I picked up from that, is that with the flat brushes I can replicate the strokes I'm making with the hard Generals charcoal sticks...these have gotten to be expensive!...everything is...oh, putting wet white over dry black is a fail, an update of that experiment...thought is someday, when the buses are safe again, though they may be now, as folk are riding them-necessary for many, is to ride to the beach with art gear, and so forgo the expense of gasoline!...I'm content just with my big drawing board, newsprint, charcoal-my Skim Board!

:)

DavidDavid

No comments: