Friday, October 23, 2020

Rip:OTI::pics,notes:::10/23/29

Open To Interpretation

#inktober twenty three

Rip

Balboa, Reflections















Notes: out and back to Balboa Pier...overcast...sat awhile and tried to sketch Inktober prompt "Rip"...a surfing term for doing really really well on a really really good wave!...now, now and then, big sets are coming in...this seen at Aliso and here at Balboa...swells from northwest in Fall and Winter?...I remember in Fall, one drifted South, and in summer, North...an annoyance, as one had to keep making a long walk back to where one started!....anyway, took a pier pic, a wave pic, and scratched a sun behind the clouds pic...and paddled over to the Fun Zone for the Idea!...when I did the Bench charcoal sketch at Aliso, it came home to me the perspective lines-some lines on the cement, even the recession of one leg under the Bench...thought and thought...this is called the one point perspective...lines converging on a central point in the distance, as the Sun on the horizon...been noting the long shadows on the beach doing this...they all point back to the Sun...and the distant traffic lights of the converging street scenes on the out and backs!...we live with this every moment!...then, then I looked at one of my pics of shadows on water, with reflections there too, and, and the reflections were different!...after some reflection, I realized the viewer is the the one point vanishing point!...(NOPE: the reflections always go straight down, like things on top of mirror...R.I.P. the Idea!😃) all the reflections converging on me...so, soh, today on the out, I was hoping for bright sun and lots of shadows and reflections from the sailboats with their masts at Balboa...no luck, no shadows to speak of!...the overcast, but the reflections still about...pic up of the mooring pillars by the Pavilion have the Idea...snacked hot dog, fries, soda, thereabout considering...then, then saw the Crystal Ball...I'm terrified of Fortune Tellers...true or not, for good or ill, what they tell, it becomes like a focal point magnet grabbing at one's imaginings, a vanishing point!...kept my head, and didn't spend ten bucks...set aside wondering where my efforts are converging too...the three perspective points are the horizon, the zenith, and, I dunno, lateral?, (there might be more!) to the side-bottom pic...Art History has these wonderful takes on how artists first noted the perspective points...Giotto famously....edit:  Looking at reflection photographs on web, the reflections go straight down...so, soh they dont converge on me as the vanishing point...I have that wrong it seems...but what is going on with mooring poles?...those reflections look to be coming at me, or some such...hmmph...update tomorrowmorrow!


:)

DavidDavid 

No comments: