City Words
Dream Words
#Gumball
🦋🦛Dream
🦛Taste returns
🧶someone is trying to find a word, but like a taste, the taste for a dream element...this goes on a while...trying to imagine...I wake up...
🎶more often in the dreams, I'm paused trying to say a word, remember a word, coin one even...that someone found their "taste" for the "element"...I imagine this like a blue gumball, in the gumball machine, that has its own flavor...
🦛girl in the egg
🧶a nude girl surrounded in a crenalated glass egg...beside her a girl standing straight wearing a dark long dress
🎶this was an "eye closed"...a scrye...often of late, I wake from a dream, make the note, aaand, don't go to sleep, but doze...in and out of sleep...in this state, N1-0...lol...Godzilla-1...I see elements, all kinds of things, behind my closed eyes...like scrying...closed eyes scrying...closed eyes visions...sometime the elements are near to scenes, stories...and most curious, my thoughts make them sometimes...I think of a car, I might see a car...now, I'm in that minority that doesn't actually see an apple when asked to imagine an apple...I just have a sense of it...the senses of elements in dreams a whole another thing...like sensing a poem, its elements...
✨️difference between reading and sensing a poem see the world feelingly Lear
The Trap of "Reading" and Flawed Sight
At the start of the play, both Lear and Gloucester possess perfect physical eyesight and literacy, yet they are completely blind to reality. They "read" situations purely by their surface appearances:
Lear's Love Test: Lear reads his daughters' love based on their public, performative speeches. He relies on the superficial weight of words. Because Cordelia cannot "heave [her] heart into [her] mouth," he fails to sense her genuine devotion.
Gloucester's Letter: Gloucester is easily undone by a forged letter. He literally reads Edmund's fabricated words and immediately sentences his loyal son, Edgar, to death.
In this state, "reading" represents a reliance on external metrics—titles, flatteries, social contracts, and documents—which masks absolute ignorance of human nature.
2. "Sensing" and Seeing the World Feelingly
The shift from reading to sensing happens through profound suffering. It is crystallized in Act 4, Scene 6, when the physically blinded Gloucester encounters the mad Lear. When Lear asks Gloucester how he sees the world, Gloucester replies: "I see it feelingly."
Stripping of the Senses: Gloucester loses his physical eyes, and Lear loses his sanity. Only when their superficial faculties are stripped away do they begin to "sense" the truth.
The Wisdom of Madness and Blindness: Gloucester notes, "I stumbled when I saw," proving that physical sight was a distraction. Once blind, he can finally sense Edmund's treachery and Edgar's loyalty.
Empathy for the Vulnerable: In the storm, Lear stops "reading" his position as a king and begins to "sense" the suffering of others. He looks at the "poor naked wretches" of his kingdom and feels a shared humanity, realizing he has "ta'en too little care of this."
Summary
To read the world in King Lear is to be fooled by the script of society—words, appearances, and titles. To sense the world is to understand it through the agonizing but clarifying lens of emotional truth and shared human vulnerability.
If you are writing an essay or analyzing specific passages, would you like to focus on Lear's storm speech, Gloucester's blindness scene, or how Cordelia's silence fits into this dynamic?
🎶audiences feel, sense...why plays make sense...then, in class, breakdowns mess things up...
:)
DavidDavid

No comments:
Post a Comment