Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Evening Walk Hawk









For a long while, I haven't purchased, 'amazoned', a new camera, but browsing about, I happened on canon's new underwater point and shoot, d20, and it does hd clips...a must have...the d10 I have I use often, and it's the digiscope camera...these cameras are good for digi as the lenses dont move out and in...they're behind a kinda 'porthole'...and so can be set right up next to the spotting scope eyepiece...the d20 is rectangular in shape, and the lens in the upper left corner...this a dissappointment, as when set on my nikon bracket, the lens is out in mid air...hmmph...I've tried and tried to just hold it to the eyepiece with small bungee chords, but no luck...a flexible, gooseneck like rod with clamps at each end, hasn't worked either...too weak for camera's weight...thought was to clamp to the camera, and clamp to the tripod...this is still a thought, as I've amazoned manfrotto's clamp and flexible rod, which looks to be stronger...when that comes, I'll try again...trying out the new camera with the bungees this evening was my thought...I discovered a place to hook one bungee on the left side, and it looked to balance out the tension of the second bungee fastened more to the middle...I was going to take pics of all this!!!...but no, when I tried to digiscope Hawk, Redshoulder, Cedar!, this Evening, no luck...hmmph...at first, this Evening, I set up on the Shingle at Cottonwood Bend...across the Merced hereabout is a jumble of Snags, and I sighted Wren at Last Light a bit ago at Lunch, and Wren would be good to try out d20, but while fiddling with everything, heard Hawk, Cedar's quiet call, somewhere out in Coop's Meadow...picked up, and up and back the River Shore almost to Creek's End, but no luck, so was going to set up on the Shingle again, but Cedar was in Cottonwood right thereabout!!...pics...tried to set up digi, and again when Cedar flew to nearby Tree...Cedar picked up and flew over to Coop's Meadow again...followed, wading the Merced...wet boots...and sighted Cedar fly to the Rim Wall Burnt Forest...oh..sighted Mama Doe and One Fawn while wading...pic...tried to digi again, but Cedar flew deeper into the Burnt Forest...followed...Buck thereabout...pic...and Brambles thereabout, which were too thick...left off, and continued around over Swinging Bridge...and Cedar was perched low on the Ponderosa thereabout!...blurry pic not posted...and Cedar flew to the Cottonwood in the center of Two Top Pine Meadow...left off with the digi efforts!, and set the 30x on the tripod...clip up...left off with this clip too soon, but made effort to get closer...Cedar flew to the Snag to right of Two Top Pine...kept walking, and Cedar flew across to the Path...by now, Light gone...and Cedar too into the Dark Pines...I have done nearly this same Tree to Tree Evening Pursuing Cedar before!!...very cool...sunny blueblue hot...report of Bobcat by Lower Falls Sunday Evening 'catching squirrel'...report of Owls, Sentinel and Ponderosa, thereabout Sunday before!...I have a backlog of reports and pics!...Golden Eagle reported at Nelson Lake last weekend...the Little Birds in the Morning appear to have moved on, even Phoebes...for just a few days, Knats were over the River in the Morning, and Flycatchers after, and little Birds in the Willows, and Cooper's Hawk was about because of Little Birds, I conjecture, as I read Cooper's Hawks follow Small Bird Flocks...oh...two at Lunches, Kingfisher was about...perched by Two Fawns Island one Evening, and Cottonwood Bend another...came upon Kingfisher that time landing on the Fallen Cedar, just as I raised up from coming out from under the Willow on the Use Path...Kingfisher flew back to the Bend...often, at Lunch, I hear Cedar calling, as I did this Evening, my day off...oh..about the Brambles...Brambles used to be a problem in Owl Woods, but as they are an invasive species, the volunteers with herbicides have been each Fall spraying, and now large areas are just dried out Foilage...returning from Morning Coffee Owl walk, I happened on the volunteers gearing up beside the Dirt Road.....'will that stuff bother the Owls?'...'Owls??...no, it wont bother them, sir...'...well, I was shown more courtesy than my shout out!...I'm getting hard boiled and grumpy...anyway, that Evening I  again googled the herbicide spraying, and indeed there are studies of the effect they have, there are many different herbicides, on wildlife, Spotted Owls notable...and for the most part, no harm...inspite of warning signs not to eat the Berries!!...anyway, in those searches, I happened on a report on the Watertable being affected by the Wells back by the Creek...now, I have described the Tiki Temples thereabout as having something to do with the Valley's waste plumbing...the Tiki Pump Truck dumps down the Tiki Pipe by one of the Temples...but no...the Temples are Groundwater Well Pumps...and the mysterious outpouring of water from the Pipe by Zeke's Perch has something to do with these Well Pumps fixing the 'turbitity' of the Ground Water...one learns...sorta!!!...hmmph...the Groundwater seems to be fine...not rising or falling much when the Pumps are pumping!!....oh!...Mama Doe clip in post just before this one is from Morning Coffee Owl walk...a must see!

No comments: