Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Balboa Seal






I thought to take a break a few days back from sanding the bedroom hardwood floor, muscles in my back were stiffening up, and for a change, I thought to paint the bathroom, and while up on the chair cutting in, I contemplated the tile floor, which badly needed cleaning, or replacing, and noted the toilet was sinking towards the back of it into the tile(linoleum)...ugh...I dunno, seems like a week, fussing with everything...new tile, new toilet flange, new shut off valve, almost a new toilet, but the old one works good, so kept it, new towel racks, new paint, and a lot of frustration, and didn't give my back a rest at all...been leaned over like a really old guy until today...I cant rehab the old house to where it's like professional...I don't have the skills, or funds...the bathroom needs to be completely rehabbed down to the joists, as the subterranean termite ants have eaten away some--under the toilet a gaping hole, and a smaller one by the tub...last time I made a replacement wood patch under the toilet in 1995, I talked with old Mr. Clark about it...he was doing handyman things, and related that in all the old neighborhood houses the bathroom floors were going, bathtubs sinking and such...that hasn't happened in my house yet, but will...and he explained how to get one of the old iron tubs out one has to open a hole in the exterior wall beside it...that's a bit daunting!...anyway, the bathroom is livable, useable, and off the to do list...for awhile!...still have to mess with the old tub surrounding tile grouting, and the slow faucet drip...and the toilet shut off gurgles...and it's just endless...there's so much else in the house to do!...made two fluttering forays to Balboa during the week, pics up from visit yesterday evening...clear warm cloudbank out by Catalina...I thought not to post up the rehab pics, but wth, someone may be confronted with similar plight!
Old shut off valve installed in '95--broken


I forgot it was compression connection, and spun round and round until I held the botton with wrench!

House has copper pipe, which replaced the original galvanized, luckily!

New flange--see lower pic of iron pipe...

A fine mess...and lots of tools needed!

1/4 inch hardboard on 3/4 plywood...maybe last 'till as long as last time in '95!


I used some four inch pine to cover holes, and around the baseboard, which has damage too...and I had some paint from doing the medicine cabinet mirror frame!


The Pit--lead was used to mount the old flange, and a puzzle until plumbing supply explained why my piping was so wide!  Lead removed easily, and old iron still good--luckily!


1 comment:

Jeannette said...

Wow...that's a lot of work. Glad to see you are taking some breaks. Your seal picture is delightful! Okay, how could you miss when the seal looks up at you like that.