Saturday, January 30, 2016

Midnight Movies

A text only post, and about history, afield from fauna and flora, sort of...and grim, so dear readers, a caution to read on...

I'll put the search strings in bold, these are the beginning of a quote, and the link(s), the ulr(s), which are highlighted too, will be the quote(s) end(s)...


Well, well, it's like 1 am and I'm not really sleepy, and have had in mind several posts, and, and maybe I can lace them together!...

To A Mouse Robert Burns

Still, thou art blest, compar’d wi’ me!
The present only toucheth thee:
But Och! I backward cast my e’e,
          On prospects drear!
An’ forward tho’ I canna see,
          I guess an’ fear!
 
 
When I was a kid, I was forever explaining movies we'd seen to my friends...thinking here of the sci fi movie Forbidden Planet...'monsters from the id' was a tangle...still is!...but being kids, my explanations were little heard amidst the growling and snarling as we acted things out waiting for the bus to school!...nonetheless, I may have missed my calling, being a movie reviewer!...I'd do it now, but it would cost way too much to see current movies and do reviews...thinking on that, I've thought, 'I could do that reviewing old movies posted up to youtube!'...a pleasant thought, and timeTotime, I'll do that here...'midnight movies'...two to follow below...but first!, that time sequence in Burn's poem needs explaining!...or mention, as it has been in my thoughts about Plutarch...past, present, and future, are in that stanza, not unlike in the Plutarch quote of a few posts back...
 
Letter E at Delphi
 
Therefore he who knows how to link causes together into one, and combine them into a natural process, can also declare beforehand things15

Which are, which shall be, and which were of old.

http://treeinthedoorvideo.blogspot.com/2016/01/plutarch-and-darwin.html

This 'before, now, to be' sequence shows up elsewhere in Plutarch...

Isis and Osiris Plutarch

In Saïs the statue of Athena, whom they believe to be Isis, bore the inscription: "I am all that has been, and is, and shall be, and my robe no mortal has yet uncovered."

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Plutarch/Moralia/Isis_and_Osiris*/A.html

In Burn's poem, To A Mouse, past, present, future, are in the care, understanding, of the narrator, Burns, a human being...Mouse lives in the moment...maybe a bit of a "To Be" Sufi!...studying that poem, I realized it is the Scottish rebellion against English occupation in a nutshell!...Burns was a pamphleteer with poems, and would have fit right in with our Founding Fathers...and my thought goes like this: everyday people live in the moment, and experience hardships and such, not knowing from whence they come, but those who govern, or who would engage in the discussion of governance, must take up past, present future...it's like children and parents...basketball reffing training has it that I should watch varsity games to pick up ref lore, and tonight I went and saw my old high school play against its crosstown rival...my old school won by two points, defending in the last few seconds until the buzzer went off...and in celebration, all these purple pixie dust things went off, and covered everyone cheering with purple dust!...don't know but I was holding back Burn's tears at my eyes!...for a moment, I was in an old moment!...

anyway, anyway, the midnight movie the other night was the Q Planes movie...these 1930's movies are just a little bit removed from real life stage plays, stylistically...no sooner than one actor finishes speaking, then the next starts in...no lag at all...which makes for everything being very quick...this may well be a style that Hollywood has lost!...and the girl reporter wears dresses that are a marvel of design...hairdos too!...some more lost styles!...and the airplanes!...maybe there are private propeller planes like these nowadays...don't know...movie was made in 1938...and it has a lot of foreboding about coming WW2...and maybe further on!...it has a futuristic electro magnetic pulse ray weapon that fuses the test planes' radios, and disables the engines...a must see!...

and, and the other midnight movie was The Beastmaster movie...the first one!...there's a lot in this, insomuch at it gathers up a lot of classical lore of gods and goddesses and such to make a tale...both the Greeks and the Israelites acknowledged that in the early days human/child sacrifice was practiced...the story of Abraham and Isaac is about this...and while Beastmaster is a popcorn sword and sorcery fantasy, it has serious themes...and gorgeous actors...and a marvelous notion about animal and human interactions...and an oddly prescient technology...a ring with an eye that connects to a cauldron where the villains can see what the ring sees...soon enough cameras will be miniaturized to this size, and data memory on the web will be fast enough and big enough, that we can all wear such rings!...even critters outfitted, which would make the seeing though their eyes too possible!

movies are on youtube...I'd link, but these things come and go because of copyrighting and such...just go to youtube, and search:

Q Planes   The Beastmaster

:)

DavidDavid

 

No comments: