Wednesday, January 9, 2019

OO:notes:1/9/19

Orion's Onion

Notes:

Fluctos

Well, hooey...pic is from wiki, and not showing...I'm working with the samsung tablet...copy pasted to memo, and from memo to blogger...no luck...just Fluctos pasted...Fluctos clouds are those ones that look like sucessive waves...like the greek key, which I noted in the enigma posts, which this note belongs with when I take up the enigmas again when baseball season begins...hmmph...anyway, I realy like my Polygonal poem posted a couple days back, and then found the polygonal features on Mars, kind of dried lake bed things...and, and I wanted to do a counterpoint to Polygonal, with prose as the conceit, and more conventional brick and motar walls as the metaphor expression of 'prose'...poetry and prose are very different...instructions on how to make a balsa wood airplane in poetry would be problematic, easy in prose...I mean, there is no conceit with multiple meanings in prose...it's one row of bricks atop another like a cinder block wall...which is what I keep thinking of as a metaphor...or some such...and haven't yet fashioned a poem for...and stuck for last two nights...I spent a lot of time painting /
drawing the bridges in Yosemite...they have polygonal facades, the old ones...Sentinel now has the cinder block look...one row of rectanglular blocks, another row atop off set fifty percent, and then the next back where the first was...the offsets so there isn't a weak continuous seam to crack apart...polygonal walls are very sturdy, resistant to earthquakes...cinder block walls are all over Town...my  backyard has some...there must be some trick to keeping the blocks even and level, same with red brick walls...and some trick of tolerance for the tedium of brick laying by the work men...I dunno...anyway, I gathered the polygonal basalt pillars in the easternWahington landscape, along with the geology story of the great ice age floods thereabout, how the ancient lakes, more like small oceans, filled and emptied...all this told in the stones thereabout, and the 'benches', the ancient lakes' shorelines, and the sedimentary stones left behind...and these sedimentary layers were what I was reaching for in previous post...they're like cinder block walls!...and it's worse...these layers are in big bands, and within the  big layers are thinner ones, banded in same fashion...for sometime I fill this out with pics and sites...the thin bands are almost like tree rings, each one it is thought made by one year of sediment...geology has poetry like disorder, and prose like order...though everything in Nature is ordered...Fractal geometry brought that to the fore...so, so my thoughts are full of polygons and layers and I'm looking at pics of Jupiter for Fluctos clouds, thinking them like greek keys, which are very prose like...Fluctos clouds are on Jupiter, and too the step fret look, and then I zoomed back, and thought, eesh, Jupiter's clouds make bands, like sedimentary stones--Jupiter has the look of the Grand Canyon!...so, so, that's where I am now...cloud formations look like geological formations--self similar archtectures in very different mediums, air and stone...Mars has basaltic sedimentary stones all over which look to have been shaped by water...sudden floods even like in the Ice Ages...but a mystery, as basalt and water stongly react, the minerals in basalt leaching and leaving behind very different stone, or some such, but, but the basalt on Mars has defied the influence of water chemical reaction somehow...there are some wonderful youtubes about all this, and I'll gather them, present them as Orion's Onion goes along...NASA's Orion program is to take up where Apollo left off...



DavidDavid

No comments: