Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Confluence




I found the old pic at the Bancroft site...search Yosemite Creek Merced confluence...that's what Creek's End looked like in 1916...I think that date's right...and today I tried to find a spot to take a pic like it...and so to compare...a Then and Now....there's a coffee table book that does exactly this...it's kinda fun...lots of photogs find Ansel Adam's sites and stand in his shoes, so to speak.
I haven't got quite the same angle, and will have to work on this. And add if I find any other old Creek pics of Creek's End.
I thought for a moment a Hawk is in the old photo sitting on the tree in the river...but I think it's just a branch.
I'll just note one thing for now...all the trees in the old photo look to be oaks...now it's a mix of oaks, pines, maples, white alders...and aspens...I think there's some aspens...and maybe the river and creek have moved and that's the problem I'm having finding the angle.
At one time there was a diversion dam here, I've read...and maybe that accounts for the second, higher, channel that's dry right now. I'm not sure what a diversion dam would look like!!

No comments: