Sunday, May 6, 2012

Fallen Cedar

http://youtu.be/qVKy7pVb_k4 At Lunch: There's a New Log at Ozone Beach, Fir, I think, just downriver from the Tall Cottonwood, and it's perched near the Bank's steep edge, and will likely be taken away by a higher high water than what put it there, but meanwhile, a fine perch!.. The stranded kayaker in the Fallen Cedar, his friends on the Far Bank told me, after I called out, was okay.... I drank my coffee and wondered how he got there, and at first I thought he was standing in his Kayak, but when I sighted through the 30x, I saw he was hanging on to the Cedar, Paddles still in hand, knee deep in the River, and his Kayak gone...While the Cedar is close to the Bank, the River is swift around it...I left my coffee behind, and paddled over to looksee, and told him, 'you're in a dangerous place, hang on tight, I'll get help', and was kicking myself for not having the cell phone with...I started to the Rooms, but along just then came the Rangers, the other kayakers had a cell phone, I gather!, and with things in good hands, I returned to my coffee, and took a clip or two...I took a more than passing interest in all, as in Silver, still in the box, is my new Kayak!...I've delayed trying it out, Lfe Vest hasn't come yet, and I'd like to see the River lower...first real paddle about in my Kayak, which I have to think up a name for, has to be in the Merced from Stoneman to Ozone...anyway...stranded kayaker didn't have a Life Vest, and will likely get a lecture!...sunny blue puff clouds warm...Bear reports...report of Mallard waterup...and Bobcat gift pics from friend...oh...my Kayak's name will be Merganser...I saw my first Female Merganser from where the Fallen Cedar is, and the Cedar was still standing then, and Coop, Hawk Redshoulder, was in the Cedar sighting  Merganser too!

No comments: