Monday, June 25, 2012

Hawk and Falcon








Well, paddled up the Falls Trail around 5 am, having reluctantly set aside warsong gulch!...I've noted before, that when I'm really tired, and hiking, I dont feel so tired as I do when rested...in either case, uphill is a slog!...but not having uphilled for awhile, I was pleased to get to Columbia Point without  desperate rest stops, which are familiar to Falls hikers!...and a bit further on, I could see the Snag where Falcon perched three Mornings ago, but I was way too high...Snag still in shade, so sat on Trail Side a long while as the Sun shined on the Valley...scenic pics...top pic..second pic is other Morning Falcon...while waiting, sighted Grey Squirrel in Fir straight ahead...thought to get, and tried, clip, and did, but Grey Squirrel wasn't moving...at all!...this led to some disconsolate musings...the Sun reached the Snag far below...no Falcon, no Hawk, not even Ravens...often from the Ledge section of the Falls Trail I see Ravens soaring by...anyway, checked Squirrel again, and Squirrel had pulled Feets up...a smile...I related all this to hiker on way down, and they explained that Squirrel was playing possum, as maybe Hawk or Owl nearby...no hikers ahead, I had been first up, but passed lots on way down, and apologetically explained that, no, I hadn't been all the way to top, just to Columbia Point about, looking for Hawk and Falcon...tripod over my shoulder always attracts the question, 'get any good pics?'...so, so, anyway, I reached Lower Falls, crossed the crosswalk, and looked back from the same vantage as other Morning, and there was Hawk, perched on Pine very near Oak of other Morning...hmmph...located where I had been above on Wall, and wayway too high to have seen Hawk...a fine Morning however!...and am pleased my hiking stamina, in spite of long gap since last uphill, is okay...sunny blueblue warm...best to start Falls trail, and all the uphills, around 4am with headlamp...I had no gear with, except cameras, and by design!...I didn't want to tempt to top...for that, one needs water food headlamp sunblock, and sticktoitivity!....tonight, film in Last Chance Courtyard was Nature Notes number 18..very cool...see link to Nature Notes, which have grown!...along the Trail, heard Bandtail, and the Bombadier Bird call, which I didn't think to descibe to the hikers I mentioned Squirrel too...they knew Birds, and had along camera gear too...the id of the Bombadier for sometime, hopefully with sighting!...lots of Violet Green Swallows, and Blue Jays, Robins,  Flicker call, Juncos, and LGB...hikers' term for Little Grey Bird that flys off before id sighted with binocs!...bottom pic is Ozone Beach...

No comments: