Sunday, July 19, 2015

Two Gun

A text only post, and about history, afield from fauna and flora, sort of...and grim, so dear readers, a caution to read on...

Two Gun Cohen is one of my favorites from the "Old China Cast"...I should make a list!...it was finding members from that cast in the "JFK Cast" that led to a flurry of posts to web forum threads, and a blog about the USS Panay, since gone from Yahoo...I was trying to figure things out...it was with dread and sadness that I would trundle up the Library steps at Palomar College to look through old magazines, newspapers, and every book I could get my hands on about Old China...I'd use the web too...routinely going to ebay and entering searches for USS Panay, Yangtze Patrol, Shanghai 1937...I still do that now and then, just to reminisce, along with Yosemite ebay searches!...looking for items on ebay is a good way to learn history...anyway...

Two Gun

quote

The head of the Chinese delegation was approached by a hero of the Chinese campaign against the Japanese during World War II, a man who had been a general and senior adviser to President Sun Yat-sen. The general persuaded the delegation to abstain. The Security Council voted approval and the Partition Resolution was sent to the General Assembly, where it passed. Modern Israel came into existence.

The Amazing Saga Of Two-Gun Cohen

end quote

I think that link will work...when I first returned to that page, search: Two Gun Cohen Israel Founding, I got the current story about Bernie Sanders...I've been following his story, but this first time I learn he is Jewish, and only son of Auschwitz survivor, a saga there to be told too, I'd say!

quote

Sanders, O’Malley, Shouted Down by African-American Protesters

When conference organizers were able to convince the protesters to allow O’Malley to speak, he said, “all of the lives lost to violence” should be addressed, and added, “Black lives matter, white lives matter” — and he was immediately booed, with one person yelling, “Don’t generalize this [expletive]!”

end quote

I like Sanders, he'll get my vote.

To continue with Two Gun...awhile back, I thought to look up the vote that established Israel, curious to see if just one person could have swung it...

quote

Addressing the Central Committee of the Histadrut (the Eretz Israel Workers Party) days after the UN vote to partition Palestine, Ben-Gurion expressed his apprehension stating:
"…the total population of the Jewish State at the time of its establishment will be about one million, including almost 40% non-Jews. Such a [population] composition does not provide a stable basis for a Jewish State. This [demographic] fact must be viewed in all its clarity and acuteness. With such a [population] composition, there cannot even be absolute certainty that control will remain in the hands of the Jewish majority... There can be no stable and strong Jewish state so long as it has a Jewish majority of only 60%".[89]
Ben-Gurion said "I know of no greater achievement by the Jewish people . . . in its long history since it became a people".[90]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Partition_Plan_for_Palestine#The_vote

unquote

One Vote
DavidDavid

No comments: