Saturday, February 27, 2016

Midnight Movies: Boba Fett's Helmet

A text only post, and about history, afield from fauna and flora, sort of...and grim, so dear readers, a caution to read on...

I'll put the search strings in bold, these are the beginning of a quote, and the link(s), the ulr(s), which are highlighted too, will be the quote(s) end(s)...

I bought a $62 dollar brush for Maya, my dog, and when she holds still, it really works well...she's shedding like crazy and has that double Husky coat, though she's mixed Shepard and Husky...bought a $124 dollar harness too!...she pulls right out of the $64 dollar tactical harness...$124 is ruffwear...I have another ruffwear, both have the double straps...I'd thought the one I had didn't fit, but fiddled with it, and realized it's just right...it's a medium...sometimes I just get mind locked or something...for years I've been grumbling to myself about the plastic coffee cup covers, the white ones with the flap with the three or four little ridges...I've always been trying to bend the flap back...McDonalds' flaps fold back into a little hole and stay open...I'd thought the white ones should do that too...which of course they don't, and I'd twist them off, or get them to stay somehow, and then usually dribble coffee down myself on the first sips...opening too open!...so, so, yesterday, I happened to notice there is writing on the caps...put my glasses up on my forehead, and read the writing...the flap is made to remain down, and the weight of the coffee pouring from the tilted cup pushes past it into one's mouth!...hmmph...I...I can be very dumb...

I've watched a whole bunch of movies since last post...some on youtube, some current...a current one was Deadpool..."Deadpool!, DavidDavid?!"...in my defense, I had listened to a conversation about Deadpool among teenagers, and was curious as to what the fascination was!...as it happened, seated beside me in the theater were two female teenagers on one side, and a dating couple on the other...the whole crowd it seemed with their plush seats in recliner position...I had to sit up straight...seemed a bit much to watch such flat on my back!...seemed embarrassing in fact, and I thought to leave, but stuck it out, taken aback at the laughter at the subtext humor!...kids shouldn't know that much that young!...I didn't anyway!...

Deadpool is more DC/Marvel comic book universe stuff, stuff which I've been gathering for that post about the battles between the old Greek gods and goddesses...for sometime...and after the movie, I looked about the web for background on what I watched...and found a curios youtube...Boba Fett and Deadpool in a rap contest...I have no ear for spoken words...never could follow the lyrics in rock and roll songs...and rap is completely beyond...I have much admiration for those who can hear song lyrics, and sing them as well!...this selective 'deafness' of mine has always been a barrier to learning a foreign language!...anyway, watching the rap clip, I got to remembering Boba Fett...myself, like millions of other Star Wars fans, was immediately taken with his character....he's a bounty hunter, and his first scene is with a group of bounty hunters enlisted by Darth Vader...there is a lot about Boba Fett on the web, and the consensus seems to be that his immediate popularity had to do with the respect Darth Vader gives him...Vader expressed disdain for everyone...that, that and his helmet...it is just the coolest Helmet ever...well, not quite...thinking of Fett's Helmet, I got to studying Helmets...even thought to go to the LA Museum to see if they had one, one in particular, an old Greek helmet...the Getty museum has one...and I learned that in truth the most popular helmet ever, is the old Greek Corinthian Helmet...this is the helmet Athena wears...one can get such a helmet...reproductions of all sorts are out there...

in my youtube searches, I was happening on clips from Band of Brothers...I'd never seen it, but one character was running about shouting HiHo Silver, and another, Lieutenant Spiers, reminded me of Boba Fett somehow, so I bought the dvds...what takes me from one notion to another could be a study!...there's a scene where Sherman tanks come to rescue, tearing through the hedgerows, and they look, with the machine gunner standing, riding behind the turret, just like the Revell models I built as a kid... that, that, and they made me think: 'tanks are an evolutionary step from helmets'...which is neither here nor there, but I studied out tanks, watched a lot of midnight movie tank clips! (news today has it that the North Koreans have weapon that can turn tanks into 'boiling pumpkins')

watched helmet clips too...and learned the helmet resting on top of Athena's head is just how Greek warriors wore their's when not in combat, just marching along and such...

sometimes I find old midnight movies from some other search, or just random browsing, but last night I doggedly tried to find an old Cary Grant movie I saw once  on cable, when I had cable!...Only Angels Have Wings...short clips from it on youtube...1938 or so...I thought it was earlier...and in the thumbnail column while looking, I was seeing really old silent films...got to thinking, and put Metropolis in the search box...I've never really seen this famous film, but on youtube is a recently restored full length version...I watched the first half...maybe sometime I'll watch it all...it's a marvel of restoration...and, and, it's the origin of Star Wars...the father/son plot I mean, and the helmet/head of C-3PO too!...how odd...

C-3PO

Daniels initially did not agree to be cast as C-3PO but changed his mind after reading C-3PO's part in the script and seeing a concept painting by Ralph McQuarrie,[32] who based his early design largely on the Maschinenmensch from the celebrated Fritz Lang film Metropolis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-3PO

Boba Fett's Helmet

Boba watched in horror as his father was killed. Once the battle left the arena, Boba made his way into the cleared arena and took his father's helmet, pressing it against his head while swearing vengeance against Mace Windu.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Boba_Fett





:)

DavidDavid

No comments: