Sunday, October 15, 2017

OTI:one poem, one pic, notes:10/15/17

Open To Interpretation

Dragons' Dance

Dragons dream,
And Dragons roar,
Fill the night their winged soar.
When daytime sleeps,
And their sorrow neaps,
Dragons play the stars away.

DolphinWords

Notes: pen and ink, drawing from ones imagination, isn't easy...though I've seen it done easily...in grade school I'd draw, and a friend would draw too...his drawing would look like right out of realistic comic books...he could just 'see' I suspect, and drawing was no more difficult than inking a tracing he'd see with his imagination on the paper...much like all the inktober artists I've been browsing!...it's kind of an amazing feat...to see them go to youtube and put #inktober2017 in the search box...anyway...was feeling the lack of the proper paper to use for ink, and noted hot press water color paper was recommended...so off to Michaels, but they didn't have it...set the pursuit aside, and continued with what I have...but today, tried again, and went to Aaron Brothers, which I forgot was right close to Michaels in Costa Mesa, and today they had a sale....buy one art pad or  books, and get two for free...I just wanted one, but came home with twelve, of different sizes!...nine canson illustration board pads (10 papers each), and three Strathmore bristol board  books...hundred bucks!...someone on web noted collecting art materials can be a kind of obsession...this foray flummoxed me...'you'll be busy awhile!'...'yes, I'll grow a beard, and not come up for air awhile...all your fault..."...and my inktober for today, day fifteen, brief...they've all been brief compared to the other efforts...this bunch can really churn out things...just the videos they make of themselves drawing, and chatting, is remarkable...much time and effort to make a good video, and many of them are very good...I made a few inks like above with a poem...this one I keep editing, but once inked on a page, that that one is like a tattoo...there is much in these, my inkings. of personal import...these particular ones I try to do at a restaurant, or somewhere where I'm out and about waiting...rolling up to Denny's I saw the morning star, Venus?, and I thought, oh, that fits the poem I'm about to try and illustrate...and the sun coming up was lighting up the bottom of a few clouds with orange and red, like it does in the morning, so I tried to put that in the ink...and too 'neap'...looking up 'neap', it wasn't what I thought it was, low low tide, it's like a tide that isn't because the sun and moon cancel one another out...which is a fit too, so I keep it...where the moon and sun are in the ink isn't exact!...I just wanted both in the frame...the Dragon pose is from the glass dragon I got at the Park, and is dragon in the sonnet, Crystal Shop...when I look at the ink, I remember all the little problems I had inking it...I'd like to be able to have a 'hand' in writing word captions, like comic artists do, but my handwriting has always been a scrawl, so need to practice, develop that...I draw with pencil first, then ink, this time with one of those pen brushes...so the inking is an easy enough thing to do, unless one is doing it without an under drawing...the trick is to be styling when you are inking...like a calligrapher...everyone has a style...do enough drawings and one discovers ones...writing the same...but there is like this urgent requiring thing to look polished, professional, or something...except for those, like my childhood friend, who just come by that naturally!...my inking is full of mistakes...'happy accidents'--Bob Ross...one above is the Dragon's back leg...its too small...its not articulated right...but it kind of fits...maybe that is the only criteria that matters--does everything 'fit'...when done with inktober, I'll put them all together in a post...the stradeasel ones too...hope not to overload google's blogger!...a lot of the inkers self publish collections, many for sale...

:)

DavidDavid

No comments: