Sunday, May 20, 2007

If I were Sherlock Holmes...

Today's pic is a bit blurry, and I think it's a chipmonk, though it seemed a bit bigger than the ones I usually see. I'll see 'm again, and there's usually more than one.

Next door the room is empty (Tree in the Door is somewhat unique in layout being a converted public shower and bathroom!) and I kept hearing a "beep" like the sound the Grey Squirrels make when they are calling. They sit and do this, their tail going up each time they beep. Some territorial call I imagine. So I hear this "beep" in the moring and think maybe a squirrel is trapped next door, and when I come home late at night I hear it again. "Beep!" I thought to call security to open the room and let the squirrel out, but I remembered the window was open to air it out, and I took the screen out to look inside. No squirrel, but I heard the 'beeep". A mystery. Than I looked at the cieling and saw the smoke alarm...that's it, what's making the beep. They do that when they're battery is low. Oh, if I where Sherlock Holmes I would have figured this out, as there was alway a single beep than a long silence, which isn't characteristic of the squirrels, as they just beep all day long.

I wish I could do that, you know, think through things from smidgen of evidence, the tiniest of clue, and figure a mystery out.

DavidDavid
Tree in the Door
May 20, 2007

No comments: