Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Towers Blue Heron

Last two pics are from Hidden Valley Nature Center...last Saturday (only day Center is open) I wrote the directions down in the River Trail book, took them along...91 to 15 to R. on 6th to L. on Califronia to R. on Arlington...it's a ways out there!...there's a five dollar fee, unless parking at the entrance, which I did, and geared up, and followed the other cyclists...downriver the Path only goes a little way, and upriver maybe a long ways...I was too fatigued after rolling downriver and back to Silver (Path thereabout ends at a Plant Nursery)...Path is hilly, and it was hot...and the River is lost in Trees and Brush and the Path skirts it on the Hillsides...rolled in Silver to the Visitor Center, thinking to just pay the five bucks for a looksee, but even just walking about made me feel a bit faint, so skipped that!...it was all quietquiet...Ground Squirrels at very start...one can see hereabout all the Mountains that are the source of the River...on a cooler day, I may try again to rollabout this section of Path...might need to get ten speed with low gears!... Heron pics are from Yesterday's rollabout...Mile 6 to 3 and return...it was cool, and cut the roll short least I get chilled with just t-shirt and thin long sleeve...Edge Hawks about, and Kite, Redtails in the Eucys, which have been trimmed, along with Trees at Moon Park, Cooper's Hawk, and unknown bird, to me....'bout size of Robin...clips of Heron, and flocking Bonaparte's Gulls for sometime...

2 comments:

Katie (Nature ID) said...

Good to see you're still seeing some great birds!

Jeannette said...

Keeping those big birds in your sights! I saw a heron, great white, open his wings and soar off right above my hear the other day...a little of the thrill comes back even when I think of it just now. I like you heron picture a lot. Here it is hot in the day and cold at night...such a weird January.