Monday, December 5, 2011

Book

Out and about for a short rollover to the Village for Mail...Book came....Muir Among the Animals The Wildlife Writings of John Muir, Lisa Mighetto, editor, Sierra Club Books....it has the the Atlantic Monthly article on Birds in the Valley I mentioned in earlier post, which I want to do a post on, for sometime....I can lay back on the Bunk and just daydream about Muir and conservation of Nature for hours on end, trying to sort it out....like, just when did Muir become a conservationist?.....there's a passage in the Bird bit about Robin hunting in Old San Francisco, where Muir would spend time away from the Valley in his 'scribble den', writing such articles....friend and I had a talk about just how long Muir was actually a resident in the Valley....compared to some of my friends hereabout, and even to myself after eight years, Muir was a 'tourist'....and that reminds me of Richard Henry Dana...Dana's notoriety for his visit to California, and maritime laws, is all out of proportion with his actual time in California and being on Sailing Ships...but like Muir, he has expressive skills, with writing and discussion, that are beyond the usual....Dana Point Harbor, in Dana Point, has a replica of the Pilgrim, Dana's ship, and a Marine Museum of Ocean Critters and such, and, well, the Harbor is built over what once was some of the best Tide Pooling Rocks on the Coast thereabout....and when thereabout, I think about Dana, and Muir..ah, a curio....sunny blueblue coldcold...if I seem diverted a bit lately, well, I am, by the WOW, world of warcraft video game....wow has to be seen and played to understand this, and I'm reluctant to be the one to introduce it to, well, anyone...one day a friend told me about their playing the  game, and their command of all the characters and realms and such reminded me of wild life enthusiasts who know fauna and flora hereabout, and Valley history,  backwards and forwards, a claim I can't make, but I happen upon such hereabout who have this kind of lore stored up!...and I do have some chops....so, curious, and needing a game to play really, I've played sports all my life.....I was in the sports store awhile back, and just picked up all the different balls and things, reminiscing!....I've taken up wow....hmmph...there are wow blogs. youTubes, wikis, the whole panoply....in their time, Muir and Dana were ahead of the everyone, and dont know, but somewhere in the melee, their counterparts are about....oh...two Tuesdays back, at Creek's End, at Last Light, Hawk, Redtail, flyover from Glacier towards the Falls....I had the newer camera at the ready, but just looked on for a bit too long, so no pic...and too in the Mail today, an important new piece of gear...a little adaptor that fits in the flash shoe--I can now do clips with one camera atop a second camera....tomorrowmorrow, I'll try this out!!

No comments: