Friday, April 6, 2012

Kinkade

quote
"I'm a warrior for light," Kinkade, a self-described devout Christian, told the San Jose Mercury News in 2002, a reference to the medieval practice of using light to symbolize the divine. "With whatever talent and resources I have, I'm trying to bring light to penetrate the darkness many people feel."
unquote

I wandered into a Kinkade Shop once in a Mall, and thought, 'well, this whole artists' thing does work once in awhile!', and much later, while taking art classes, and looking for Valley references on the web (one such search located a job app...) I happened on the story of this painting....it was entered in a National Park Painting contest, not government sponsored, and Kinkade won, which set his career going, or at least encouraged it....mabye I can find that...brb...yes...he was just thirty when he painted it, so his career arcs for a short 24 years...good for him, and everyone with a fondness for his work...one of the attractions I find about wow (world of warcraft), is its kinkade style--there are little cottages all over, along with grand landscapes...curiously, one doesn't find kinkades in the Valley, or even in outlying gift shops, though Placerville, which I think is nearby, has, according to wiki, 'omniprescent' kinkades everywhere...this Valley painting by Kinkade is right in line with the small list of Valley artists, though I think, this one painting is about all there is of his hereabout...somewhere I saw some of his plene air early work, and it was fine....and the quote above, about 'medievel practice' caught my eye....that notion is in Muir's 'range of light', in AA's photos....my friend has a photo of the Sunlight in Valley forest on a Misty Morning that he can't get enough of showing me!...and it's like that hereabout...and whereverabout in wow!!

1 comment:

Jeannette said...

David this is really a dear eulogy you have written.