Monday, June 16, 2014

Goslings








When I picked up the Bike I was handed a helmet and asked to give it a test ride...feeling a bit timid, as I haven't rode a drop handle for a long time, I hopped on, sorta, the seat is very high, maybe too, and my feet didn't recall how to get in and out of the pedal straps, and I thought to brake with the pedals, thinking I was on the beach cruiser, and leaned forward in a hurry to grab the handbrakes, which I discovered at home after puzzling how to shift, are the shifters--one pushes them sideways--actually there are two shifting levers on each side, two are the brake handles themselves, and each handle has a small shifter too. The seat doesn't have a quick release, and before next pedal I've got to find the hex tool for it. Finally pedaled around the block at home this morning--it's very light and goes very fast! This in contrast to the plodding beach cruiser, and even the Specialty, which was never very swift. I went to rei to buy helmet and shoes, but found myself at the check out waiting, no one there yet, and considered the prices, and reconsidered! I could easily double the price of the bike with accessories! I do have a helmet, strap clip missing, that I can fix, and, and I better wear it when pushing this bike! Normally I just wear a floppy sun hat, and go so slow an over the handle bars header isn't likely. Bike looks so cool I'd be content to just hang it on the wall like a painting!

 Pics up: Goslings at the Donut Shop Pond--this group has grown fast, the second is missing, cats I think; Sparrow, Tern, Egret, Redbill, at Bolsa Chica; Woodpecker at Talbert;  Bike: Giant Defy 5. Last Monday I tried to roll out to the Local Mountains, and it was a test to see if Silver's DW was gone--it isn't. Wobbled off the freeway in Corona, and found myself on Martin Luther King Street again. Studied the maps for back roads, and after some missing turns, found myself at Hidden Valley again! Very odd. Finally reached 74, and pretty freeway frustrated, and with the choice to take 74 to San Jacinto, or 74 to Capistrano, and it being like 3:30, I sighed and headed back to the Beach, which when I reached Dana Point still had a little overcast, and was cool. For awhile I needs must be content with roll outs to the Ocean, but miss sitting atop a picnic bench with Ponderosa Pines about!

No comments: