Saturday, June 28, 2014

Oranges



This is cover of the little magazine I had in mind, this back in 1988 or so. 

Uploads are very slow this evening, pics I mean, so I'm doing them one by one, and putting text up after each pic upload.  This is going to take awhile...like old times!

Idea was that each magazine cover would be in the tradition of Orange Crate Labels, which are very cool.

I checked around to see if there was another magazine called Oranges, this in the library, and only found John McPhee's book, Oranges, which is very cool too!



Well, this pic is supposed to be after the cropped pic of the Orange Grove and Saddleback, but the uploaded pics are just landing everywhere, and too hard to move about!  Hmmph.  Very much like old times!  Anyway, for sometime is how I made the HyperCard Stack for Oranges.  Oranges was to have a print version, and an online version, and a floppy disc version.  Online would have been just text on old  GEnie.  The weblogs I had on GEnie are like what I had in mind, and that too is a post for sometime!!  The floppy disc version required a Mac with HyperCard to read the Oranges stack. 

The format, menu buttons on the right, pics and text on the left, is the very same format here in my google blog.  I posted up how to make this little computer book to HyperCard City, a site on old GEnie where HyperCard things were posted up.  The little bit of scripting I did was remarkable.  Not only did I have one of the first blogs on old GEnie, that for sometime, it was a web log on how to write poems!, but this notebook, well, one wonders!  I didn't invent web, but scripts like the one in the notebook above, are what everyone uses.  Google uses.  In the script was a 'global' I think it was called, that everytime one opened and closed the notebook, the menu buttons would refresh, linking whatever new things were added!!  The computers can do this at near light speed, and are refreshing the web, adding changes, from "micro second to micro second" (this a reference to the monster in the movie Forbidden Planet!!").  I remember lamenting in the post to HyperCard city that I didn't know how to make a search feature for the text pages.  Once on a page one could search that page, but not the whole stack, one couldn't google the stack!  Word processing was doing pages,  books, but not multiple books, and what came to be the whole web, like google, yahoo, dogpile, and other search engines.   Now, that global refresh script, is like everywhere!  

quote

"I missed the mark with HyperCard," Atkinson lamented. "I grew up in a box-centric culture at Apple. If I'd grown up in a network-centric culture, like Sun, HyperCard might have been the first Web browser. My blind spot at Apple prevented me from making HyperCard the first Web browser."
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/05/25-years-of-hypercard-the-missing-link-to-the-web/

unquote

LOL!  I thought to google up HyperCard, and found a reminisce much like mine...it's 25 years old soon!



 
 
This was a guideline brochure, how to submit.  Poems and stories, fauna and flora.  I'd forgotten the fauna and flora part, I had in mind way back then poems and stories about plants and animals!  No notion then though of the the digi pics and clips.
This drawing was done on a Mac Plus in HyperCard.  When I got my Mac, which was a bit before, it came bundled with a program named HyperCard.  I didn't open it for several months, being content with McPaint and McWrite, and games!  Finally I loaded it, and studied it, and learned a bit how to write scripts, which are programing code like HTML.
 

No comments: