Saturday, September 9, 2017

OTI:three poems and notes:9/9/17

Open To Interpretation
 
Masked

The Hexagon's champion,
Wearing the performance mask,
Stood alone on the stage,
And read out his second poem.

Did I Doubt?

Harbinger, did I doubt, hesitate, turn turtle,
Prophecy, a moment indecisive slack sailed,
Foreshadow, back away apprehensive, churl,
Augurer, weak kneed deliberate turn tailed?
Destiny, remained I beside you steadfastly,
Providence, all this long time inconsolably.

Inconsolable

Among the semicircle terraced stone benches,
One central seat had a backrest,
Reserved for the contest judge.
There Petra sat, listening,
And at the Hexagon's champion's poem's end,
Lowered her face into her hands and wept. 
Inconsolable, as it were,
She got up and went to be with her crew.
"What's amiss?"
Asked Ishmael.
"He knows my names, and I know him."
Said Petra.
She looked to Black Dragon Onyx.
"How?"
She asked Onyx,
Onyx looked long at Nemo.
"An old trade."
Said Nemo.
Dana stood before Petra,
Holding the performance mask.
"Who is he?"
Asked Dana.
Petra turned away from Nemo and Onyx.
"When we were together,"
Said Petra,
"The Black Dragons raided our Town,
Treasure seeking.
Our Town Seer foretold that
If my friend and I sang to the Dragons,
They would leave off.
The Dragons listened
The Dragons favored.
We were taken to live
In the Northern Reach.
I was to be the
Northern Black Dragon's Queen.
"And your friend?"
Asked Ishmael.
"He was taken elsewhere,
I never knew."
Said Petra.
"A game we played with names,
Giving one another titles and such.
His favorite name for me was Destiny.
My favorite for him was Blue Sky.
Blue Sky is the Hexagon's champion.
I didn't recognize him,
Masked as he is when he performs.
Last we were together was
When we sang to the Dragons.
We were afraid, but learned
Black Dragons aren't scary,
Just clumsy in their pursuit of treasures."
Petra tuned to look at
Black Dragon Onyx.
"What can I say, Dulcinea?"
Onyx said.
"You've known all along."
Said Petra.
"For some forgotten bauble
We traded Blue Sky to Nemo."
Said Onyx.
"The poets needed a poet,"
Said Nemo,
"A thing difficult to explain.
The poets sent scouts
Far and wide to find one.
One of their scouts heard you
And Blue Sky sing
To the Black Dragons.
I was the poet's agent,
And arranged the trade with
The Black Dragons.
Petra looked long at Nemo.
"Are you a poet?"
Nemo looked down.
"You were the scout."
Said Petra.
"Just so." said Nemo.
"Have you brought me here
To lose me here?"
Asked Petra.
Nemo looked down,
"What I am I am,
Where you will be
You will be."
Said Nemo.

DolphinWords

Notes: rolled over to Huntington State Beach for day eight of hashtag stradaeasel plein air contest...tried to depict sun rays coming through clouds on to the ocean...for a moment there was like a perfect and very distinct cone..too slow with camera...and too clumsy with the acrylic paints...

:)

DavidDavid

 


No comments: