Wednesday, September 6, 2017

OTI:three poems and notes:9/6/17

Open To Interpretation

The Contest Begins
 
Impossible
 
Impossible, unlike you I'm possible, so,
Beautiful, not likely engaging like you,
Destiny, I without my certified fate, go,
StarryChild, with just my cerulean sky blue,
Nocturnal, I've waited eternally for one,
Luminous, night my day forever make undone.

Doom

Petra listened, her eyebrows raised,
As the Hexagon champion finished his first poem,
"Who is he?"
Asked Petra.
"Some Greek."
Said Jason.
Petra looked to Jason and his crew inquisitively.
"And...that's all you know?"
She asked.
"It's Greek..."
Said Orpheus,
"...the meter and such."
"He seems to know me...how?"
Said Petra.
"Poets trick,"
Said Nemo.
"Trick or not, that was to me..."
Said Petra.
"So tricks seem to everyone..."
Said Nemo.
"Was it any good?"
Asked Petra.
"How can I judge? 
I'm like in his sights."
"His poems' merit will stand,"
Said Nemo,
"When stood beside our champion's poems'."
"But the rules say I must judge now,
And I've yet to hear
The Pentagon's challenger."
Said Petra.
"The Hexagons have home advantage,
And so set the bar with the first inning."
Said Nemo.
"Oh, why am I the only judge?"
Asked Petra.
"For one thing,"
Said Nemo,
"For being truer than true.
And two, it's an advantage given
The visiting Pentagons."
Said Nemo.
"How so?"
Said Petra.
"Oh,"
Said Nemo,
"If the Hexagons used their own judge,
Being at home as they are,
Their judge would cheat."
"And if I cheat?"
"You would become theirs and could never leave."
Said Nemo.
Petra looked at Nemo with scorn.
"You are like a cat that brings a lizard one day, a bird the next."
Said Petra.
"Yes," admitted Nemo.
"And there's more."
"When isn't there more from you?"
Said Petra, standing arms akimbo now.
Nemo continued,
"If the Pentagon champion loses,
The Hexagons take his life."
"I can see the arrow still descends..."
Said Petra.
"And the Hexagon champion marries you."
Said Nemo.
"Grey gloom eternal..."
Said Petra.
"Just so." said Nemo,
"But all will be fine.
When the Pentagons win,
The poets' world will be restored, at peace,
Or what passes for such hereabouts,
And we can go home.
Success!"
Nemo finished with a wan smile.
"And who is the Pentagon's champion,
Does he know me too?"
Said Petra.
"Dana."
Said Nemo,
"Ishmael is his second."
"This isn't just grey gloom,
This is doom itself."
Said Petra.
"Just so." said Nemo.
"A five then, for the Hexagons."
Said Petra,
"Let's begin."

Second Birth

From the foam you found us seaweed covered
Brothers bound twinned in fortunes second birth
Having storm sunk our eyes death discovered
To then see yours lowered to ours in mirth,
And know again our world's round laughing girth.

DolphinWords

Notes: (update: in Impossible...'go' for 'do'...H. missed a rhyme!) ...I've been diverted...September first began the thirty day plein air painting contest presented by Strada Easel manufacturer...this on facebook...I don't know how facebook management reacts to such things, but it's nice...by clicking on 'hashtag' stradaeasel, a notation each artist puts in the photo post up of each day's effort, one is taken to all the contestants efforts...I didn't know how hashtags work...keep seeing them in the twitter posts in the news...but I don't twitter...anyway, prizes awarded will be plien air Strada easels...and I have to laugh, today I figured out how to do without an easel...from the first day, and way back in art classes, I just take up a canvas or board from behind with one hand, and with brush in my other hand, go at it...I hold the painting like a pallet I guess...and that's kind of a technique I'm trying to acquire, to mix my colors on the painting like it IS a pallet...so, anyway, with small canvases I can jamb my hand in the back, and keep it steady, or, what I learned today, I can use miniature bungee chords attached to a board's sides, and grip the chords behind the painting...that works...today I was at Huntington Beach, and it was too windy anyway for an easel...I have a nice French easel...but realize with my hand holding technique, for the small canvases/boards that plien air paintings are usually on, it's kind of superfluous!...kind of an important innovation for me, as by illiminating the easel, I can climb onto a public bus much easier...I can ride the busses to the ocean towns for next to nothing with a senior bus pass...Silver the jeep needs way too much expensive gasoline!...so, I did my daily painting...it doesn't have to be complete, just some progress day to day, and I put my flippers on and waded out into the surf, which was way way too warm...I haven't been in the ocean for like fifteen years...and even when I left off for the Sierra, the ocean then was too warm...it is even warmer now...believe me, I have ocean temperature recollections going back to the 1960s...early September is always the warmest, but soon the waves will be coming from north westerly and cold...or they used too...LA/OC beaches are odd, as they face kind of south...the curve of the coast line being such hereabout...I made a discovery hopping in the swimming pool a week or so ago...my tendon cinched up hands can't paddle anymore when I swim...in fact, I can't swim anymore!...nearly floundered when I got in to the deep end over my head in the swimming pool...time was I could tread water for ten minutes holding ten pound lead diving weights in each hand...one of our scuba diving training exercises...I might still be able to do that, but I've kind of forgotten how!...and until I remember how, I need to wear swim fins!...so, I had my flippers on and was backing into the surf, thinking to kick out to the second break, which is further out, and a shoulder high shore break caught me, and pushed me down and right back up to the surf's edge...and I laughed and laughed...I have to start all over again...I took the fins off, and walked back out to waist deep and just let the shore break waves knock me around...I'm being reconditioned...back at the parking lot, I saw another old fellow on his bike with his foam body board...and we gave one another a nod...next time I'll have my foam body board along...picked up from the beach, and rolled over to the Gypsy Den...bit late...but a sympathy slot opened, and I read out Impossible and Second Birth...hadn't titled them yet, and tried to explain their context, which is just impossible!...

:)

DavidDavid

 

No comments: