Monday, November 9, 2009

Pileated Woodpecker And Owl


















Didn't get out and about until after noon!...Shuttled over to the Post Office...took only the 20x with monopod, and the binocs...expected to come right back, but at the Village, Shuttle was there, so hopped on and over to Siberia...just as I hopped off thereabout, I sighted Pileated Woodpecker...clips and pics!...closest I've been to Pileated...usually very shy bird!...earlier, with coffee and croissant, waiting at Last Chance Shuttle, sighted Mama Doe and Two Fawns by the Perfect Dogwood...diverted and sat awhile watching...clip...caught the Shuttle, and when at the Village, when coming out of the store, hands full, sighted Nuthatch, or maybe Creeper, on the Twin Ponderosas....would have been unique clip!...but too slow getting hands free...little birds were about too, but no luck...from Siberia, I walked back to the Village.....clip of Ravens on far side of A Meadow below the Chevrons Wall...clip of Mama Doe and One Fawn in the Meadow...at the Village, picked up egg salad, chips, and hersheys....continued over to the Deer House, and found a seat on the Deer House Log...think I was thereabout last Monday!...listened again and looked for Owl...but quiet...thought to go to Chapel Meadow..afternoon light terrific thereabout...went back to the Creek first, and when nearing Creek's End, sighted Big Wings lifting off the Shingle...looked like Hawk...from Lodgepole Point, hopped over the Creek with one long leap...well...a long as I can!...and looked about for Hawk...but no luck...continued along the River almost as far as Ozone Beach..but tourists there, and diverted back the way I came...and back to the Cabin to get the new camera and digi...oh!...at the Post Office, book I ordered came, about the extinction of the Yangtze River Dolphin...review for sometime soon...geared up with everything, and went back to Creek's End...experimented with both gorilla pods, the large and small one...attached the large one to the scope, and the small one to the large one, and used one rubber band to keep the waterproof camera snug against the scope eyepiece...and that works!!...digi clip of Flicker on snag across River with this set up...better report of this to come in a Gear Blog...for sometime...can't say soon!..as the Gear Blog has been just an idea for a long time!...anyway, when I took a seat at Owl Log, it was about four pm...fiddling with the digi...and just sitting...took awhile...and around five a Blue Jay flew overhead my way from across the River...noted how Blue Jya flaps a bit, then glides a bit, making for a kinda rolling flight...Acorn Woodpecker does this too, in an even more pronounced way...anyway...while contemplating this!, I heard Blue Jay begin scolding..very loudly...quickly stood up and went back up the Creek on the Shingle, but couldn't locate Owl...I knew it was Owl...there's no mistaking Blue Jay's Owl Scold!....disappointed, I went back to get all the gear at the Log...light almost gone...and I was going along the Creek's bank, just before the Tiki Outlet, and I saw Owl on an arching branch, close and at my own eye level, as the branch was lower down the bank...oh!...I wish there had been more light!..did get the clip and pics up....Owl flew off while taking pics with new camera...all blurry flight pics...but Owl didn't fly far, and I was able to take some more pics with the new camera...which, I think, did very well in the dim light, by very well, I mean taking any kind of pic at all!...the 20x was done, just too dark...and I've been wanting to get pic of Owl with the Fall foliage...and while the ones up are blurry..with a little imagination, they're fine!....I'm on the edge of deciding to get the newer higher iso dslr, and these low light circumstances are making it more and more the camera to want to have!...Owl flew off again, perched right above the Outlet...coming down the bank, I made too much noise, and Owl flew off across the Creek to the tall Oaks...on very quiet wings...in fact, they make no sound at all!!....I must have seen Owl for fifteen minutes, and just watched a lot through the binocs...very cool... Owl never looked my way much, except right at the first, and never when I was sighting the new camera...hazy overcast, sometime clearing for the terrific sunlight, warm....cold in the morning...Remember the Baiji....
Blog of the Day
(a long peddle, I'd say!)
http://www.eskis.org/z_bat/?albumid=5401537566617104049
http://frenchguyonabike.blogspot.com/2009/11/24-yosemite-national-park.html

No comments: