Monday, November 9, 2015

A Maya (my dog) report...

Well, it's quiet on the porch...I'm listening...I've just finished hammering and making a racket in the evening quiet trying to secure a board across the one section below a window, a second effort...no sooner than I nailed the 3 feet by 2 feet piece of plywood in place, covering the excavations, than Maya went to work on its corners and was pulling if off...she wanted to continue the excavations, her escape route from the porch to the backyard, and points beyond...now I'm listening to see if my second effort has secured the possible escape route...quiet so far...

Now, I've been pursuing an odd health kick...I'd like to lose like ten pounds, and wean myself off fast foods and Denny's...Denny's has a good menu, but the servings are big, and once started on one, I just finish it, and don't make use of the to go box...though sometimes I take home the meatballs, or bacon and sausage for Maya...and a week or so back, I started eating just one real meal a day, usually in the evening, and then I ate a meal at a restaurant I don't frequent and caught some kind of stomach distress...so, in my half starved diet state, I had a tummy ache or something too...it wasn't too hurtful, but I felt very weak and, and at times so out of breath I couldn't move...I've run the symptoms through google, and what I think they are is just plain hunger...brb...

starvation symptoms

The bloated stomach, as seen in the picture to the right, represents a form of malnutrition called kwashiorkor which is caused by insufficient protein despite a sufficient caloric intake.

Starvation

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    
 
 
The stomach bloat I've got...it's a usual thing for an empty stomach...but my horsing around with my food intake has exacerbated it...I don't think mine is from a lack of protein, though that's a thought, more likely just nothing in my stomach...
 
So, so, for the last few days, I can walk around a bit, do a few things, and then I have to sit and catch my breath, or take to my bunk...I was snoozing fine this morning, and a 'hello' and knock at my door...sometimes I just woof out the window, 'what is it?" and try to scare off the salesman, but this was way early, so trundled the few steps to the front door to see...'Do you have a black dog?'
 
ohhh...I had just talked over the phone with my niece about Maya and the one low four foot fence covered with ivy...'she's been good, like Bunny was, never an inclination to leave her yard'....I'm absolutely certain dogs are telepathic and Maya heard that conversation, which was yesterday, and this morning Maya is down at the far end of the street...and I'm out front in pjs, thinking, 'now what do I do?...this is the worst...'
 
I got the leash, walked half way down the street, beginning to double over with fatigue, and just kneeled down in the middle of the asphalt, and waited...Maya took her time, exploring this way and that, looking for someone to run and jump on...'she was jumping on people' had been the report...finally I got the leash clipped on her collar, and like fighting  a fish eager to get off the line, I reeled her into the house, and to the porch, where I closed her in with all the doors...no backyard until I sorted things out...
 
I couldn't see where she jumped over, a route over that low fence takes her into a neighbor's yard with higher fences, or so I thought...the far side of their house is unfenced into the backyard...and that's where I found Maya after I let her out into the backyard to pee and poo, and she didn't hesitate a minute to go to the low fence and hop over it again...I had leash in one hand, treats in the other, and once again on my knees waiting on neighbor's driveway, and clipped on the leash...Maya thinks she's a Marlin...at any moment with her backward tugging the simple collar could slide off...I have to keep enough slack in the leash so that wont happen...I tried picking her up...coaxing her along by holding her tail...Marlins have bills, Maya has teeth...by now my forearms are red...and I'm fatigued to the point of crawling on all fours across my neighbor's lawn, my driveway, my lawn, and eventually up the steps into the house, safe...neighbors thought I was playing...it was a near something experience...I had to put my glasses in my shoe, which I took off and left behind, for safety...I was being buffeted...each crawling step, I had to manage the leash...and the collar...I got Maya into the carrier in the living room, and sitting atop it, thought, that's it...off to the pond, to animal control...I can't endanger the neighborhood...and while I can raise the fence, Maya will be now be an escape artist, having tasted outside and points beyond...so I got the carrier on the piano dolly roller, rolled her to the front steps, down the steps, to the back of Silver...lifted the carrier up into Silver...this took like half an hour...filled with sorrow and regret...and the neighbor from the across the street came over to ask about my sad task...I explained, and discovered they were the people Maya had jumped on...actually, Maya had somehow gotten in through an open door of their house, and woken everyone, being her usual self, to the point of tugging on bed sheets...how Maya this morning got from there to down the street where I first saw her, is probably more of the tale....I pursed my lips, and thought, 'continue, off to the pond'...but then the neighbor's kid comes over, who wants a dog, and it's enough...just enough of everything...by now I'm sitting on the porch step all out of breath just from talking and emoting...back to the status quo...I'll install the fence, cage Maya in the backyard, maybe aging and training can civilize her, and I'll keep my fingers crossed she wont do another Houdini! 
 
Neighbor has recommend a harness that straps all around, and when I went to Home Depot to make a fencing estimate visit, and buy that 3x2 board for the porch, a couple walked out of the store with just such a harness on their tail curled high husky...'what's it called?'...'ruffwear'...their husky well behaved, in guide dog training...
 
Much thanks to my neighbors for all the help...:)
 
DavidDavid
 
 
 
 

No comments: