Friday, November 13, 2015

Blue Jay

a poem...

Blue Jay


Talk like a parakeet
Talking to itself
Above my head
From the dropping Pine Boughs.
I looked up and saw Blue Jay.
Blue Jay looked back,
Hopped to another branch,
Looked down,
Hopped,
Talked,
"Chaahh!  Chaahh!"
"Okay!" I said.
"Chaahh!  Chaahh!"
And tossed some peanuts.
Blue Jay hesitated for safety,
Then dropped, hopped,
Took a peanut, saw another,
Dropped the one, hefted the other.
I admired the blue iridescent tail feathers.
Blue Jay leapt, and flew
Over Strawberry Creek into the Forest.

DolphinWords

Strawberry Creek in Idyllwild, CA...which reminds me, I have a little one about Strawberry Creek...

Strawberry Creek

Strawberry Creek almost dry,
And Yellow Tiger Swallowtails,
Butterflies, singly,
Sometimes briefly two,
Wander over the grey boulders
Among the White Alders
Full of new green leaves.

DolphinWords

Since I've been back in Town, three Halloweens, I haven't been to Idyllwild...hmmph...my favorite place...

San Jacinto

Along the curving climbing highway
When the Pines altitude is reached
And they begin to appear beside the road
The road whitened by granite sand
Eroded from the mountain and mixed into the asphalt
The mental conflicts of the City will begin to lessen
As the coastal overcasts are gone
Revealing the blue, the bluest sky
Over Idyllwild, and the mountain, San Jacinto.

DolphinWords

Yes, they are simple, I know, I've been told that, and wince a bit at that, but, but, I would explain, though I never will to that sincere assessment...and remain appreciative, quiet. 

I don't know what to do with 'full of new green leaves'...try not to draw attention to it, and hope it doesn't get noticed!

And I can't remember if it is "overcast is gone", or "overcasts are gone"..
these poems from early seventies...oh...it's the later...my ear tells me...

And when they repaved 120 to Tuolumne in places, I took notice over the years how it would whiten...the Sierra is so much larger than San Jacinto, which is thought of as a miniature Sierra, and explains part of my fondness for Idyllwild...

Progress!...with Maya's fence...Hanh's husband Hi was about, and I asked if he'd like to help, and together we went to Home Depot and gathered materials...4x4s, concrete, and such, for the posts...I'm digging the holes, three dug...working on one that is problematically full of roots...finish that tomorrow....just need five holes two feet deep...then Monday, Hi and I will set the posts...from there I can continue alone, but Hi and Hanh are so happy to help, I'm happy with that too!

DavidDavid


No comments: