Friday, November 10, 2017

OTI:one pic, notes:11/10/17



Notes: found finally, and bought a bag of walnuts at Vons...couldn't figure out how to split one in half...brb..."Using a dull table knife, carefully pry open each walnut so you have two intact halves. The trick to doing this without cracking the shell is to insert the knife into the seam at the back where there is often a tiny opening. Be very careful not to slip and cut your hand!"...well, it was a very sharp knife, and after pieces of walnut flew all over the kitchen, I set that idea aside...unscathed...making little walnut boats may not be such a good idea for kids, what between the sharp tooth pick mast, flame for melting the wax to poke the mast into, and splitting the walnuts...searching out the Mycenaen seals (see today's preceding post), I diverted to ancient Greek ships, again, and gathered up some more lore...I have a sail boat...but have no idea how, or when, I'll use it...waiting on funds...looking at the evolution of the old ships was a study in the evolution of depicting those ships too...many of the early drawings are very simple, and stylized...a few even look like they had walnuts for hulls!...looked to youtube for what kind of sail boat I might have...Norska is the brand, but I can't find it...and I gather it is a 'cat boat'...studied how these are rigged...it's big, big enough, sixteen feet, and the sail I think is what's called a 'lanteen' sail...brb...maybe...I've never tried to put it all together...everything stored in the bottom just like I got it at the auction...came with a nice compass which I seem to have lost...and it's double ended open hulled, a real movieCaptainsCorageus1937 sort of boat...and it has a well, a squared opening to the water, towards the back to put a small outdoor motor...and a trailer, which needs some unbending...well, everything needs work...but the hull is fiberglass which is near indestructable...daydreamed watching youtubes...small boat sailors seem a dreamy lot!

:)

DavidDavid

No comments: