Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sierra Alligator Lizard








I was so sleepy Sunday night, that I didn't think I'd wake up for the Hikers Bus, but...I did with just an hour to throw things together....took the mini scope, the 20x and the waterproof, and just enough stuff to spend one night: a new mini Bear Can, Sleeping Bag, Tent, Warm Clothes, Book, Muir 1000 Mile Hike to the Gulf, to read, and ipod to listen too, msc, things like water bottle, bug spray, etc....left behind Cooking Kit and Stove and such....everything packed, and I still had fifteen minutes, so cheerios at Last Chance, then clambered on the Bus....hopped off at the Wilderness Center for Permit, and paddled along the Trail back to the Store and Grill...when I came to the open Meadow thereabout before the Road, I heard a plaintive peeping amongst a clump of Branches...in a little Nest on the Ground hidden by Fallen Pine Branches was one Little Chic, and two more that had perished...a very sad sight!...I removed the two to try and see what they were, but I cant tell...friend said Juncos make Nests on the Ground, so maybe....took a gloomy pic and clip, and moved on....just in time for burger combo at the Grill...went over to the Benches, and Wolfie was there, and invited me to join her...some through hikers about too....a fine talkabout with Wolfie, swapping critter stories....report of Pine Martin....Meadow Shuttle came along, and I was off to May Lake....each time I hike the short way from the Road up the Old Tioga Road, to the Parking Lot, and up the Trail, it seems shorter....curious to see if I was in shape to carry the Pack up, and things went okay....Sierra Alligator Lizard past the Parking Lot just a bit...pic and clip...quiet walk for most part...Marmots greeted at the Lake...pic up of Marmot looking at one of those balanced rock things....more tomorrow...Today: slept in, sunny hot blue....at Lunch: sat awhile at Ozone Beach...Phoebe on Phoebe's Willow, Song Sparrow, Robin, Yellow Warbler, Sandpiper, Two Mallards flying, Raven chased overhead by Blackbirds, Flicker call..... and rafters, and fewer Mosquitoes!....report of Bear at Meadows Lodge Parking, from hikers I met last week that came to Last Chance for dinner...California Crescent Butterfly, blurry pic best I could get, was sighted on Old Road next day....

No comments: