Friday, July 9, 2010

Williamson's Sapsucker
















Monday evening, coming back from the Two Bridges, I sighted Woodpecker in the low light, flying from one Lodgepole Pine to another....I wasn't sure what Woodpecker, and tonight I key, and find Williamson's Sapsucker...a new sighting!...very cool...only once in the Valley have I heard a report of Sapsucker, and just in conversation with the same tourists that recommended Sibley...Tuesday continued: Thunder Clouds came over the Meadow while I was napping, a row of them over Unicorn, and more in the direction of Gibbs....picked up...time...and paddled over 1915 Bridge and along the Dirt Path, oh, Lodgepole Lane!, and to the Road and back to the Store....time enough to buy a bottled tea, and the Hiker's Bus arrived....one last pic of a really big Thunder Head in the direction of Pothole Dome...and it Rained a bit on the ride back...back in the Valley, past Bridalveil Fall, I sighted Owl on a Fallen Snag, and looking back through the Bus' Big Window, I said, OH!.... there were two Great Horned Owls on the Snag!!...my consternation was unnoticed, some Hikers from Italy, I think, sleeping, and the Driver driving...got off in the Village, picked up Mail, walked back to the Cabin and dropped overnight things off, and paddled out towards Camp 4 Stop, where I could catch the El Cap Bus....thought was, maybe a chance Owls would stay put...and just before I got to Camp 4, friend rode up on their Bike...'ring ring'..."Where you going?"...I explained the Owls, and they offered a ride....and after a short delay while my friend got their camera, and the Car ride, we were in the Forest beside the Merced swatting Mosquitoes...the Owls were gone...but thereabout is a terrific view of El Cap...pics for sometime....and I sighted Merganser downstream...pics for sometime...an overgrown Use Path was along the Shore, and we explored a bit along the River....swimmers about, who asked, 'Did you see the Bear?'...and they directed us ahead...aways along, I turned to look back, and thought I saw Bear, but it was a swimmer walking through the tall Grass, but no time to be disappointed, as just ahead, my friend sighted Bear across the River, where just a bit ago I missed pic of Buck....Bear pics and clip that I posted up Monday...a fine Bear sighting!!...later my friend saw another up in an Apple Tree by the A Meadow...and I, on a peddle about the Big Loop (was chasing Rainbow opportunity--the Thunder Head had followed to the Valley), happened on the Merganselings at Ozone Beach...pic for sometime...and the Mergnserlings were the final pics of Tuesday, and a long weekend!... Today: paddled over to the Village on errand....retrieved the Bike and peddled about the Outside Loop...Merganserlings Six, almost full grown, sighted amongst the Rafts from Swinging Bridge...pics for sometime...sunny hothot blue, light breeze....at Lunch: Ozone Beach really looked like the Beach...lots of Rafts and Picnickers...sat awhile at the Ponderosa with the View of Half Dome....Sandpiper, Mallard, Blackbirds, Robin about...Mushrooms by the Log..pic...

No comments: