Thursday, December 16, 2010

Whiteheaded Woodpecker




After Breakfast, Shuttled over to the Village....paddled back through Bobcat Meadow (Cook's), over Chapel Bridge (Superintendent's), to Swinging Bridge, and along the Path, and along the Merced to Creek's End, back to the Cabin, over to Lower Falls, time, returned to the Cabin, and off to work....it was Xmas Bird Count today, instead of Sunday....day moved because of the Storm coming....nearly here, the weather news on now says...anyway, I had arranged to have Sunday off, and was a bit miffed at the sudden day change, so slept in, and didn't join a group...did, however, happen on the Tunnel View Group on the Path by Two Top Pine Meadow (Liedig)....I wasn't seeing or hearing many Birds on my walk, but they reported seeing and hearing a goodly number, including hearing Pygmy Owl call...I wished them luck, and continued on my walk....just coming around Cottonwood Bend, I sighted Great Blue Heron flying low through Owl Woods....thought Heron was going to Ozone Beach, but Heron circled over towards Lower Falls...I continued to Creek's End, and at the Cabin, picked up the newer camera, (had with the 12x), and went to Lower Falls to looksee for Heron...no luck....frazzle in the Creek...but I did hear Pygmy Owl, and Nuthatch, and sighted White Headed Woodpecker..pic....along the way, sighted a dozen or so Ravens, and Blue Jays...call of one Mountain Chickadee, and call of one Downy Woodpecker, and calls of a few Acorn Woodpeckers...a few Little Bird calls I wasn't sure of...likely Kinglets...sunny blueblue cool....sighting Heron keeps my four year streak of seeing Heron near Creek's End going....usually I see Heron in late Fall and early Winter, and was wondering if I would again....so a cool sighting!....no pic though...need a pic to really keep the string going!...report that by Sunday, Merced will be at flood stage at Pohono Bridge, which I think means over the Road a bit....a lot is going to depend on Snow Level....weather news says seven thousand feet, and ten feet of snow....but if it's a warm storm, it might flood like in '39(7?) or '55....well, I have inadvertently now, a three day weekend...and if it's like '97, a bit longer!!

Blog of the Day: (about the coming rain, and past floods...nice looking blog too!)

No comments: