Saturday, October 18, 2014

Beach Combing


















I finished rehabing the utility room, for now...be a long time before I get washer and dryer as they're a bit expensive!...but in the meantime, utility room is perfect for a little painting studio, watercolor and acrylic...I could even do an old time photo darkroom...utility sink is like the key to everything!...place to clean up while I rehab the house...utility room floor needs new lineoleum tiles, but that'll get done when I do the kithchen's...and that after all the painting...so awhile!...cleaning the living room walls now...took down my photo wall, and moved the little bookshelves into my bunkroom...glad to have the books where I can glance over and see them!...and while moving the books, I found Power of Limits, and the pic I referenced in the Scalloped Seashore post...drawing is of Point Reyes...and under book Power of Limits when I picked it up, was the old auto club Via issue...oh, I thought, that's Point Reyes too!...and I have that pic from my first visit to Point Reyes, but it's on the mac...but in an old post is a bit of the Beach...
...Elephant Seals thereabout...some morning clouds clearing sunny warm light breeze...didn't get out, nor yesterday...last visit to Beach, I thought about Beachcombing, even thought to make blog called: Beach Combing Orange County's Coast With A Camera...it was the camera part I was thinking of...appropriate pursuit for a beach bum would of course be beachcombing!...brb...

quote

The first appearance of the word "beachcombers" in print was in Herman Melville's Omoo (1847).[1] It described a population of Europeans who lived in South Pacific islands, "combing" the beach and nearby water for flotsam, jetsam, or anything else they could use or trade.

from wiki

unquote

... thought to search 'beachcombing'...and this bit of jetsam at wiki's take too!

quote

Whippy deserted his ship in 1820 and lived among the cannibal Fijis for the rest of his life.[4] The Fijis would sometimes capture the crew of a stranded ship for ransom, and eat them if they resisted. Whippy would try to rescue them but sometimes found only roasted bones. Ultimately he became American Consul to Fiji, and left many descendants among the islands.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beachcombing

unquote

...not sure which is the best curio...'roasted bones' or 'many descendants'!!

...Oh!...and from the Via article (took magazine along to Mickey Dee's for reading while snacking) a link to Beach Combers Alert ...and a book:
http://www.amazon.com/Flotsametrics-Floating-World-byEbbesmeyer-Ebbesmeyer/dp/B006NNKR42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413698042&sr=8-1&keywords=ebbesmeyer

:)

No comments: