Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Moon Over Balboa












Update:  Before logging off, and calling it a night, which can be a morning sometimes, I check the news, which is always grim, somewhere, but of late, the Valley has often been in the news with the forest fires, and now there's a new one called Dog Rock...Dog Rock is a granite outcrop that protrudes over 140 (looks like a dog), just as one goes up from El Portal, and along with the fire there, one of the fire fighting tanker planes crashed shortly after the fire started Tuesday afternoon, just across from the little market store thereabout.   This is like my favorite part of the Merced Canyon--giant boulders, giant trees, a wild defile with waterfalls and a roaring Merced River in the Spring.   The Valley has had some rain, so maybe fire control will get a handle on this.  It's grim.

Tomorrow Night the Eclipse, which will be at 12 0'clock high, and maybe around about midnight too, 'don't know for sure' I said when giving a headsup to a couple with their infant kid. We had been watching an ocean rescue, I think...one fellow was in trouble, and two of his friends swam out to be near him, and then the lifeguards came, vehicles flashing lights on the beach, and they swam out, and towed in the distressed swimmer--all this after the sun went down.   I say I think it was a rescue, as the swimmer had fins on, and had been beside the Pier on the South Side a long time, not taking waves, but bobbing about, and looking to...and his two friends, with their flippers, were on the Pier, thinking to jump in, I thought, while  I was ready to take another Pier Leap clip...but for some reason the swimmer swam through the Pier, and to the North a long ways, and while I was trying to take clip of the Moon, looking South, the couple asked if my phone worked, they were having trouble with theirs, and a 911 call was needed...I couldn't see problem, and said I think he's on a board, as there had been a surfer out there too earlier, but then I saw the swimmer make the diver distress sign...hands over head and waving...I got my phone out, along with several others...and we all learned the lifeguards had been alerted...I went and got my camera, and set up, and zoomed out, and saw the two friends swim out...they must have run back on the Pier and along the Beach...and when they reached their friend, they all stayed close...and they all had fins, and, I don't know, I wonder if it was a drill of some kind...anyway, the distressed couple were relieved, as I gave narration of seeing things on the zoomed out screen...on review of the clip, the thought came again how useful these powershot long zoom cameras can be in a rescue or emergency...I could zoom right in on the face of the swimmer, even in the dim light, and as far away as he was...that over, I went back to the Moon, and moonlight on the waves...lots of clips, and pics too...I took note that the Moon reflected on a curling wave right at the wave shoulder, same place a surfer rides, and it was like the moonlight was riding the waves like a surfer...wish the cameras could have captured this...tried them all!...clear warm hardly any breeze...the tenants clearing out things has progressed...I finally gave the kid the sixty day notice, and the family has gotten after him, I'm guessing...the living room is empty, 'cept for the small shrine in the corner, and it's just a really welcome relief...roommates are a misery...time is close now that I can make a concerted effort to rehab the old house!...wash the walls, spackle, paint...sand the roughed parts of the hardwood floor, re stain...build a pine shadowbox bookshelf like I did once...oh, and once the rehab begins, I'll not be out and about much, I imagine!...tenants' dishevelment has been a good excuse to lollygag! ...Giants win and advance...Angels, and Dodgers too, dogged it!

No comments: