Sunday, October 2, 2016

OTI:one poem and notes:10/2/16

Open To Interpretation

Stink

Tutor
From the corridors the angry mourners come!
Hold fast to me daughter,
As Odysseus to the mast.
Close your eyes.

Nurse
Father!

Tutor
The throng is upon us
With the human roar dragons envy.

Nurse
Father, it is so quiet.

Tutor
We are else ware a sudden.

Nurse
Dare we open our eyes?

Athene
Creon, Glauce, be not afraid, you are with me.

Creon
How?

Athene
What can be seen
Can be unseen
What can be done
Can be undone.

Creon
I thought myself Jason's and Medea's children's tutor...

Glauce
And I their nurse.

Athene
Just so it was,
As in a dream
You were and you were not,
As now,
You are here
That isn't there.

Glauce
Oh, but it is the same! 
My Father's empty throne,
The Fleece on the trellis behind,
Like a tomb, mourners prostrate around the dimly lit room!

Creon
Wait, daughter, it is different.
I know this place,
It is the Palace of Aegeus, good king of Athens,
It has resemblance with mine.

Athene
Just so,
Aegeus' attendants sleep on the floor. 
In my arms is the robe of Helios,
An ornamental harmlessness as always,
Impervious to Medea's intentions.
I return it to Olympus, 
Its terror to you a memory faded. 
Assist me and gather up the Fleece. 
Follow.

Creon and Glauce
Again we drag this golden weight!

In the Palace courtyard.

Creon
Helios' chariot,
And the two Dragons chained!

Athene
Give room,
And hold your noses.

Glauce
Athene! 
Stand not so close to the Dragons!

Creon and Glauce
Oh, one Dragon vomits out Jason...
He is covered in digestion...
And stinks...
But still whole!

Jason
Where is that witch?

Glauce
And still pissed.

Athene
She beds Aegeus, even now. 
Your sons' corpses,
Like forgotten dolls,
In Helios' chariot still.

Jason
Athene! 
I am without courtesy,
And not know my place,
Or even where this place is...
Creon?...
Glauce!

Athene
Jason,
Mount upon the chariot with Creon, Glauce, and the Fleece. 
I have a task for you.

Jason
Gladly!
I leave off being digested by Medea once and for all!

Athene
Bury your sons beside the Argo on the beach at Pagasae. 
The Argo, too long shore bound, has moldered. 
The talking prow fell
And crushed to a pulp a sleeping wayfarer beneath it.
Gossip and rumor have it, it is you,
Medea's prophecy of your doom fulfilled. 
Let the rumor be so,
What can seem, can seem. 
Retrieve the prow's talking plank from the oaks of Dodona. 
It will tell you what is next!

Athene unshackles the Dragons, and returns to Olympus.  The Dragons with their passenger loaded Chariot of Helios leave for Pagasae.

DolphinWords

Notes: oh, I've reeled in Jason and the Argo!...and in the wings. Aegeus and Medea as well...them, I'll not disturb for awhile!...reference yesterday's post, and Euripides' play Medea...oh, and here is a replica of the Douris cup of Jason, Athene, the Dragon, and Fleece.

:)

DavidDavid








No comments: