Sunday, April 16, 2017

OTI: three poems and notes:4/16/17


Open To Interpretation

A Second Attempt

Setting: Mt. Caucasus where Prometheus is chained up. Nighttime, the Eagle sleeping. Epimetheus and Eurydice beside Prometheus.

Prometheus
Eagle likes you, brother.
Epimetheus
Grateful, I'd say.  'Eagle' my finest gift.
Prometheus
Once before,
You tried to help me, brother
Epimetheus
Hindsight would have it,
Pandora was a mistake.
Prometheus
Foresight has it Orpheus
Will succeed with your scheme
And they will all return
With Hephaestus,
Master of chains.
Epithemeus
My scheme depends
On Orpheus' song.
Prometheus
And when has Orpheus missed
A note?
Epimetheus
Once.

Eurydice smiles wanly.

Eurydice
Tell me about it.
Prometheus
Oh, aside from that,
Not to worry!
They will succeed!  I see it!

 
Dispensation
 
Setting: Dawn is breaking on Mt Olympus, sunlight pouring through
the great windows of the Hall of Justice forecourt.


Orpheus
If it would please the court,
I would bring forth my witnesses
For the defense of Hephaestus.
Zeus
Proceed.

The courtroom is spacious with tall entry doors, and from the forecourt enters Hermes, Dragon Cadmus, and Dragon Harmonia. Orpheus begins to sing and Zeus falls asleep.  Everyone in attendance is shocked and surprised to see Dragon Cadmus grab with his claws and lift up Hephaestus, stone and chains and all. Hades begins to laugh.

Hades
Where will you go,
Orpheus?
Orpheus
Beyond the Pillars,
Beyond Zeus' reach.
 
Orpheus and Hermes hop aboard Dragon Harmonia.
 
Hades
From Hell, and me,
You would just leave off?
Hermes
My messages are sacrosanct,
Between earth heaven and hell
I carry them freely.
Orpheus is my message!
 
Hades continues to laugh.
 
Hades
Just so. 
Orpheus,
You have my dispensation as well,
And no longer hell bound.
A shadow though you remain to mortals.

Orpheus
They will hear me sing?

Hades
After a fashion,
They will call you Inspiration.
Hurry, before Zeus awakens.
He will be furious,
You've stolen Hephaestus!
Oh!
Are you off to steal Prometheus?
 
Orpheus
Just so.
 
Hades laughs louder.

Hades
Zeus will be doubly furious!
Go!
 
 
With Out A Hitch

Scene: All returned to Prometheus.


Hermes
Back without a hitch.
Prometheus
My friend Eagle slept in
This morning.
We must hurry
Before Eagle awakens
Least we become ozone
From a lightning blast!
Orpheus
Been there.

Eurydice now joins Hermes and Orpheus on Dragon Harmonia. Prometheus, Epimetheus and Hephaestus on Dragon Cadmus. Up they fly, free, all singing along with Orpheus. And Eagle sleeps on, dreaming Eagle Dreams, his daily prey stolen.

DolphinWords
 
Notes: ral...I began making a list of witnesses for Orpheus, other gift givers to mortals that ran afoul of Zeus...and it grew and grew...tried to fit in the  Nine Muses, but the spacious Hall was filling...and becoming confusing!..for sometime, a play, Orpheus Defends Prometheus...or some such!...my eyes got big when I learned Cadmus, gift giver of the alphabet, was made into a dragon, along with Harmonia...and that Prometheus had a brother, Epimetheus, who messed up with Pandora...and their names mean Foresight and Hindsight, the two most fundamental gifts that mortals have!...Prometheus too can mean 'thief'...going into a rage when something, or someone, is stolen from him, seems to be Zeus' 'gift'!
Happy Easter!
 
:)
 
DavidDavid

 

No comments: