Wednesday, November 23, 2016

OTI:five poems, notes, two illustrations:11/23/16

Open To Interpretation

Maybe

Well,
Maybe this will work
In Irvine Park,
And else wares alike,
With Maya my dog,
Her leash around my wrist
While I poke at my iphone notepad
Writing the epic.
Sometime she nuzzles my hand to say
"Let's go!"
Pulling letters away from words,
Words away from the "epic".

An Epic

"An epic" said Poe, "laconic."
"Just so, it would it would seem."
Melville said.
"He has book one!" added Twain.
"Eleven more!" said Apollodorus.
"He has oaks of compare with Dodona." 
Said Homer.  "That park."
"And woodpeckers too to
Tap tap tap." said Cervantes.
"Yes, we'll all be tap tap tapped."  said Euripides. 
"And poked poked poked." said Poe.
"Would you prefer briefer conjurings?" asked Dante.
"Yes, it is always the thought
To just string him along..." said Melville.
"Just to be here." said Dante.
"My Dulcinea for that.!" said Cervantes
"Lenore." said Poe.
"Beatrice." said Dante.
"Enough," said Emily, "leave him be..."

A Sharp Turn

Petra guided Pet with her legs
To make Pet make a sharp turn.

Chorus

Oh, Maya has stolen the hot dog package!
His poking distracted!
And goes for his hand when he goes for the empty package!
And Maya growls!
This may not be so bad...
Enough...
Just so.

A Sudden Fall

Like wild dogs' reach,
The harpoons flung from the Black Ships
Ripped Pet's left wing,
And downward with Petra
Pet spun into the Black Sea.

DolphinWords

Notes: Maya, my dog, has outgrown her old dog carrier, and funds being short, and the summer heat, delayed getting a new one, and then I had notice of a used one for free, and a delay of that delivery (from my niece:), delayed things more.  But now I have it, and if fits perfect in Silver, my jeep, where I have taken out the passenger seat, and the back seat, and made a flat floor with some plywood and mats.  It's quite nice to have her beside me, and safe away from jumping on me while I drive.  And she can still look out and see the passing scenes.  First outing was to Irvine Park...curiously while there, we walked together a ways out into the riverbed, away from everyone...just the foothills in the distance...first time in a long time I've been even remotely out and about in 'wilderness'...and realized I have no compulsion anymore to go 'outside', or even dote on wilderness scenery...if there isn't human habitation about, of some sort, it's just too lonely!...this may be a passing curio...a few far flung journeys now with Maya, and I'll have back my adventuring!...anyway, I realized I can do something workaday like while walking her, namely write, poking at the notepad, as noted above...I like that, to be outside and about when writing...thought to do self similar thing with my watercolors, but way to problematic with Maya the wild thing beside...when people ask if they can come close, I tell them Maya is wild...maybe me too...the proof copy of my Creative Space Publishing book, The Black Deck Tales came...it's really neat...and not too many errors of spelling and such, I'm finding...in a day or two, I'll have those, those I can find, fixed, and I'll be able to post it live to amazon like Women Can Do No Wrong...not a single copy of that one has sold, which was expected, and likely BDT will follow suit...but, now, when I go to Orange County Poetry Club gatherings, I'll have a 'text' to read from...always wanted to have a chap book...and there's never been a vanity onus to poets making their own chap books, which now CSP facilitates...I'm okay with it anyway...whole blog now for years is just such...I don't know if I can add eleven more epic chapter books to BDT!...a passing notion...but the plot is thickening...and I think I've morphed the Dodona Homeridae into a Chorus which I'll indicate with the underlining when they are just together chatting...ral...things to keep in mind:

quote

  1. Praepositio: Opens by stating the theme or cause of the epic. This may take the form of a purpose (as in Milton, who proposed "to justify the ways of God to men"); of a question (as in the Iliad, which Homer initiates by asking a Muse to sing of Achilles' anger); or of a situation (as in the Song of Roland, with Charlemagne in Spain).
  2. Invocation: Writer invokes a Muse, one of the nine daughters of Zeus. The poet prays to the Muses to provide him with divine inspiration to tell the story of a great hero. (This convention is restricted to cultures influenced by European Classical culture. The Epic of Gilgamesh, for example, or the Bhagavata Purana do not contain this element.)
  3. In medias res: narrative opens "in the middle of things", with the hero at his lowest point. Usually flashbacks show earlier portions of the story.
  4. Enumeratio: Catalogues and genealogies are given. These long lists of objects, places, and people place the finite action of the epic within a broader, universal context. Often, the poet is also paying homage to the ancestors of audience members.
  5. Epithet: Heavy use of repetition or stock phrases: e.g., Homer's "rosy-fingered dawn" and "wine-dark sea".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_poetry

unquote

pics of front and back covers below...all black...of course...


:)

DavidDavid


No comments: