Tuesday, November 8, 2016

OTI:two poems and notes:11/8/16

Open To Interpretation

Novelists

I open a book, any book,
To see how it's done,
How novelists use so many words
To say so little,
And puzzle,
As the usual is
Few words that say so much.

Idiot

Medea and Onyx have arrived in Athens.  And on a patio adjacent to Aegeus' Palace Banquet Hall, Onyx waits patient while Medea and Aegeus argue.

Aegeus
Medea, too soon
To be so round.

Medea
Where I have been
Time descends
Ascends
Awkwardly.

Aegeus
I doubt it is my son,
Rather Jason's you nourish.

Medea
No!

Aegeus
Theseus, my newly discovered son,
Who will kill you on sight,
Such is his righteous momentum
Having cleared the path to Athens
Of criminals and hateful creatures,
Warns me of your scheme,
That you would your last remaining child
Be king of Athens.

Medea
No.

Aegeus
I have no doubt.

Medea
Then doubt this,
Theseus is Poseidon's son.

Aegeus
Not so.

Medea
It is everywhere known,
Ask any god,
Aethra hard on after you slept with Poseidon.
Look for yourself,
It is Theseus exploits along the path
That bespeaks a half-god's
Godlike strengths.

Aegeus
No.

Medea
It is Theseus that would slay you
And take for himself Athens.

Aegeus
No.

Medea
You know my gifts,
As priestess of Hecate.
Beware the proffered cup
That tips your health.

Aegeus
Leave me.

Medea
Theseus comes,
I leave you to
Your convivial banquet.
Tomorrow I'll return
When you are clear eyed
Thirsty for truth,
Or sated,
Dead.

Onyx and Medea having spent the night in the outdoor Theater of Dionysius on the slopes of Athens, rest toghether on the stage, the theater empty, but early morning Athenian risers have gathered at the perimeter of the stone seating, looking on in wonderment at Black Dragon Onyx.

Medea
I don't know why I returned, Onyx.
Remind me.

Onyx
Homesick.

Medea
The father of my child is a fug head.

Onyx
Jason or Aegeus?

Medea
Aegeus, not that it matters.

Onyx
Children are children.

Medea
These empty seats suit us.

Onyx
My presents alone explains that.

Onyx roars and belches flame and black smoke.  The gathered onlookers high on the slopes step back, fearful.

Medea
I can do that,
Stand and show them my stomach. 
Oh, look, a young girl with a doddering elder
Wend their way though the stone seats, running to us. 
How brave, how foolish.

The couple bow before Medea and Onyx.

Tutor and Nurse
Queen Medea, mistress.

Medea
My sons' tutor and nurse, Onyx! 
I am so glad to see you,
I thought your lives too lost to my travail.

Nurse
By some magic, we escaped the throng,
How we can't recall,
And made our hurried way to Athens to join you,
But you have been gone.

Medea
Just so,
Though here I am.
I have another for your
Tutelage and care.

Tutor
We are your servants always
Though too
Where you are
We must be.

Medea
Yes, my tiny realm
And smallish family,
With a giant dog.
Onyx, can you bear their weight
On the long flight back?

Onyx
Easily.

Medea
First a last word.

Back at the Palace Patio, Medea leaps off Onyx, and interrupts Aegeus and Theseus who have  been talking.

Medea
You are an idiot.

Aegeus
Maybe so.

Medea
Alive this morning tells everyone so.

Theseus grabs his sword to confront Onyx.

Onyx
Oh!
Medea, you promised a treasure.

Medea
I haven't forgotten, you see something?

Onyx
The sword.

Medea
Surely.

Onyx
And the sandals.

Medea
Take them.

Theseus makes bold with his sword. Onyx licks his head with flame.  Theseus sits and unties his sandals, his hair smoking.

Aegeus
Leave us.

Theseus, barefoot, leaves.

Aegeus
Tomorrow, Medea,
Theseus goes with the sacrifices to the Minotaur
At the Marathon offering, 
And will be out of the way.

Medea
As you are out of mine. 

Aegeus
My son?

Medea
You deserve no sons, idiot. 
What I deserve has been given. 
I'm done here.

The Sword and Sandals safely in Onyx's claws, he lifts off; Medea, Nurse and Tutor, astride his neck for the long flight back to the Northern Reach.

DolphinWords

Notes:  Voting is voting.  Vote!

:)

DavidDavid



No comments: