Sunday, May 31, 2009

Coyote With Ground Squirrel


Well, I was all geared up...stepped out the Door...and Coyote was trotting by and tourists clicking away with their cameras...I set the tripod down, unzipped the camera bag, unlocked the lens on the new camera, turned it on...and clickclickclick...almost as efficent as a third basement knocking down the ball and still making the play!!...by good fortune, I had the shutter set to continous...unfortunately, Coyote being far away, and in motion, softens and blurs the pics....but I like this one very much, as I can see how the light is falling over Coyote...and can make a drawing or painting...likely minus poor Squirrel!...it's very hard to make up light, and too, backrounds and poses...Fauna and Flora has become my storehouse of such things...pic is a bit grim...but not too...I'm not sure where too grim is..one knows it when one sees it!...I've kept back some grim ones....and there's one I wanted to post up with the Symmety post....when we left Hart Park, we drove over to some hills to a place called the 'anthill'...it's a strata of fossils...marine....Bakersfield was under the ocean..well...the land there!...not so long ago...at these hills, at a wide intersection of new road, waiting for new houses and new stores!...we rolled up to the stop, and right in front of the car on the asphalt, I thought I saw an expired Hawk...hit by a car and left in the road...at my urging, we pulled over at the far side of the intersection, and I walked back to looksee...and discovered a Barn Owl lying there...I took one pic...and with an old plastic bag found nearby, wrapped up Owl and went to the nearby field, and took Owl out of the bag, and gently tossed Owl out on the golden brown grasses over a barbed wire fence...the pic is a 'telling' pic...most any pic of a road killed critter is....the pic of the Coyote is 'telling' too...I have equal affection for Coyote and Ground Squirrel...and there Ground Squirrel is in the mouth of Coyote!...I'm not sure what all is 'told'...but I described the dilemma to a friend...that somtime looking close at Nature, one finds Nature looking back...and it's daunting!...my friend nodded and agreed!...I followed Coyote through the Backyard to the Creek (that odd valve is an antique I think)...and dont know which way Coyote went...but I went right, to Creek's End...it was quiet...two tourists showed up..guy with his gal from some far country..the map open in his hands...'if you go that way, you can walk along the River as it bends back to the Rooms, but you'll have to wade a bit (the diversion channel)...the water is high'...and that's the way they went!....I went back along the Creek...Butterflies at Azalea Bluff...Grosbeak at the Twin Fallen Cedars..which are going to be problematic to walk across now...one has broken in half at the far side...and there's a gap...other is okay...I sat awhile at the Swath...and the Giant Fallen Log...almost slipped off that!....it was quiet..and Coyote illusive....at the Road I turned around and back to the Cabin...bigbig thunder clap when I got there...neat when the Thunder echoes off the Walls...and daunting!...sunny hot blue, with what's been the usual thunder shower of late in the afternoon...

No comments: