Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Dawn Chorus Owls



Well...the official Dawn Chorus Day was May 3....but this morning I got up for what I thought was Dawn Chorus Day...little early in fact...geared up and out at 5 am...first call was part of a Song Sparrow's song..Song Sparrow singing in it's sleep!...it was quiet as I walked with headlamp out to the Falls..which are roaring of course!...spray and the biggest roar at the View Footbridge...continued around the loop..past Muir's Boulder...and at the Shuttle Stop my headlamp picked out the first critter eyes' glowing...some Deer across the Road...flash pic...went over to the Deer House and perched on a Picnic Bench...clip...all the Birds were up and singing...couldn't hear them earlier because of the Falls Roar!...the Two Mallards were in the Little Pond in front of the Benches...and joined in with some quack quacks....when there was just enough light for clips, I paddled over to check on Owl...wanted to get a Hoo Hoo Hoo Hooo Hoo Hoo for the Chorus...and almost did!..when I got past the Cottonwood to the Knolls, I heard Owl calling in the Cottonwood by the River Bank...I set up...just to record the sound...by this, I mean I just pointed the 12x at the Trees...and started clip...just as I did, Owl flew out and away...right past the Two Ponderosas...low to the ground...I panned and followed and have a clip...but so grainy, and wont work to post up....and as Owl flew past the Ponderosa Trunk...I glimpsed a second Owl perched...this was too cool!...Mama and Papa Owl were up and about!!...I sighted in on Owl...and just as the focus took hold, Owl flew down to the ground..right between the Pines where I stood last evening!...see clip!...very cool!...I dont think Owl caught anything...and Owl flew up to another Cottonwood.....I didn't want to stay long...but wanted to get short pic and clip with the 12x of the Young Owls...they've gotten too big to be Baby Owls!!...and sighted in...dim clip and pic...I looked back for Owl but no luck...and with more daylight, I thought to go out to the Road and set up the new scope...same spot as yesterday..but no traffic and wind!!!...some clips..close up ones dark...like the one posted..and that's the only clip with both Young Owls...continued on the Big Loop...very pretty...thought I heard raptor call up on the Glacier Wall...just impossible to locate with all the rock and crannies...had Breakfast at Last Chance...and then went back to the Near Shore view spot to see if Mama Owl was back...more clips...just one Young Owl could be seen...and no Mama...picked up and back to the Cabin...and a nap at 9 am...so I was out for awhile!!....and tired...woke up when repair work being done...and went out again to the Near Shore to check on Owl...still no Mama Owl...just the Young Owls...picked up and went to the Post Office...on the way some Brit Tourists were gazing at the side of the Path...mystified!...Gopher was pushing up dirt and making a mound...I've never been able to get pics of the any of the Underground Menagerie!...'cept clip of Bobcat catching one!...and Gopher must be Tourist Tolerant..as it was undisturbed by all of us stopping to watch...got a clip and some terribly homely pics!!...for sometime!...at the Village, the new 20x came...just in time...lens error messages are happening too often with the 12x...(which with the converter and it's censor is close to a 20x too!!)...not sure if it's just batteries, or grit, or what...the 20x has a nice big fold out screen...but the one piece lens looks very fragile...I set it all up and took some first pics sitting by the Near Shore..looking out for Owl...still not home...picked up and back to the Cabin were I put the pics and clips on the computer...disappointed that the hd video is in mov. mode..and a memory hog...wont play smooth 'cept with Zoom Browser..have to study this out...finished the upload of pics to the blog..and went out with just the tripod, binocs, and new 20x...got a really cool clip of Clouds and Moon...and checked for Owl...took one quick pic from the Knolls..and I dont know which Owl it is!...looks too old for one of the Young Owls..and too Young for Mama Owl!...will study this out...and post up tomorrow!...oh..at Swinging Bridge in the Morning, I got a really nice clip of Deer...and Deer again at Lower Falls at Dusk...Bluebird pics and clips..Warbler pic...Grosbeak pics ad clips...some scenics...a fine day!...cool with clouds...roads were wet in the morning... tomorrow carpet layers come..it's late now..and I'll be up even later boxing the dishevelment!!

No comments: